Saturday, November 1, 2014

The Weekend Update - 11.1.14

Saturday, November 1, 2014 with 7 comments
So, since my end-of-the-week post isn't just about what I got in my mailbox or on my Kindle each week -- though that is a big part of it, I won't lie -- I decided to change up the title and intro a bit.  I might tweak the format a bit over the next few weeks, but for the most part, it'll contain the same stuff: stuff I got, stuff I did, and stuff that's coming up on the blog.  Plus, I get to use the awesome GIF you see here and blow kisses to all the people who sent me lovely books and bookish things.  Oh, and I've started linking up to Stacking the Shelves hosted by Tynga's Reviews since I'm not using a specific meme title anymore.  April's also doing her own Stacking the Shelves posts on Sundays.  Stop by and say hi!  =)



This is going to be such a great weekend, even if I can't believe it's already November. o_O It's Opening Weekend for rifle season here in Texas -- or our part of it, at least...I don't know all the regulations and I don't want to :P -- so the hubby is gone to the deer lease for four glorious days. GIRLS WEEKEND! And my sister-in-law is bringing her two kiddos over and we're going to have an epic sleepover tonight, just because we can. :D Which means I probably won't get as much reading done as I'd like, but I've already surpassed my Goodreads challenge, so I'm not worried about it. Too much, anyway. There are some books on my TBR shelf that are definitely calling to me, though. ;0)

Oh, and we are going to have a real fall-like weekend to enjoy, too! Our autumn always comes late and sticks around only briefly, so we have to make the most of it while it's here. Would sure make for some nice outdoor reading, though! My SIL is a reader, too -- though she prefers a much more, ahem, adult genre than I enjoy -- so maybe I'll get some reading in after all.

Anyway, here's what I scored this week:

For Review:


Finding Mr. Brightside by Jay Clark (ARC) - This book sounds all kinds of adorable...or maybe I mean awkward and tragic and amusing, but that culminates into adorable for me. =)


Children's Books For Review:


Herman's Letter by Tom Percival (finished copy) - Oh, my goodness, this book is beyond cute. I wasn't expecting a finished copy when I requested it, but I'm glad that's what I got because those little "lift the flap" letters are adorable! I cannot wait until Katie and I get a chance to read this together. (She is still reading at TWO levels above her class, which makes me ever so happy!)


Audiobooks For Review:


Unraveled by Gennifer Albin (audio via Audiobook Jukebox) - I'm so glad to have gotten this audio for review because I don't know when I might have gotten to the end of this trilogy otherwise. And I really am trying my best to finish up some series before starting new ones.


Purchased:


In the Afterlight by Alexandra Bracken - I probably won't get to this one for a couple of weeks, but I just had to have it. I have to know how all of those kids make out.


Won:


Love and Other Unknown Variables by Shannon Lee Alexander (finished copy) - I honestly didn't know much about this book, other than having seen that super cute cover everywhere right before its release, but I won a copy from Regina at Mel, Erin & Regina Read-A-Lot and she went on and on about this Charlie fellow I had to meet. I can't wait!


So, that's my haul. How about you? What did you get this week?




The Week in Review:

Reviews:
Current Giveaways: 

Check back soon! I'll be giving away a copy of this book very soon:


Promotional/Discussion Posts:  

Jen's Currently Reading/Listening To:

The Bone Season (The Bone Season, #1)Mortal Heart (His Fair Assassin, #3)It's happening!!! I haven't been in a reading slump, per se, but I haven't exactly read anything truly enthralling in a little while. I know this will be the book to change all that. My sister's been recapping me on Dark Triumph while she reads it, so I'm ready for this book now. (I actually didn't get to start this book until the end of this week, so I'm still in the middle of it.)





Time for a re-listen -- as part of the read along but also in preparation for The Mime Order. I am so excited!!! But I'm also scared.



Upcoming Reviews:


Exquisite Captive (Dark Caravan Cycle #1)Burying Water (Burying Water, #1)Killer Instinct (The Naturals, #2)Mortal Heart (His Fair Assassin, #3)A Thousand Pieces of You (Firebird, #1)





Follow on BloglovinLike honest reviews & giveaways?  Be sure to follow us on Bloglovin' so you never miss out!



7 comments:

  1. You're so lucky to have won an Love and Other Unknown Variables! I have it on my kindle but the cover is adorable so I think I might buy it if I like it enough. Over here it's been really warm, so the family and I are hoping to go to the beach since we've all been pretty under the weather lately.

    Enjoy all of your books! I got a lot of new review copies from Edelweiss this week since HarperCollins added new books.

    Have a great weekend!

    Marianne @ Boricuan Bookworms

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited to know what you think of A Thousand Pieces of You because I haven't read it yet but it looks amazing! Great haul :)

    http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/review-anna-dressed-in-blood-anna-1-by.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Lauren is going to lend me Mr. Brightside - she really liked it, and it sounds adorable! Can't wait to see what you think. Happy reading, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I accidentally thought Love And Other Unknown Variables was by Jennifer E Smith! lol! I think it's because it's so similar to her titles...but either way, I still want to read that one! I've heard such mixed things about Claudia Gray's new book...from super love to total meh. I'm not sure if I want to go for it yet. Still deciding.
    Ugh, deer hunting? Ugh.
    My Sunday Post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really should read Dark Triumph since I've picked up a copy of Mortal Heart. I need some sort of refresher because I honestly don't remember much. I've endeavoured to read and finish that series this week though.

    Enjoy your reads, Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay Mortal Heart and The Bone Season :-) We're having cooler temps here too and I'm loving it. Feels so nice to be chilled. I hope you had a fun Halloween! We did, but now we've been hit by a stomach bug. Ugh. Hopefully it'll be fast one.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...