Thursday, November 13, 2014

My Garden of DNF's

Thursday, November 13, 2014 with 9 comments

You all know how much I love gardening. Well, the temps are cold and my plants are dead, but I've been growing up quite a pile of DnFs. I discussed this a little bit on my post Monday. When You Just Can't Get Into Anything! It's a struggle. Here are just a few of the books I've tried to pick up the past few weeks.

20736580

I love video games, and I had this one for review. I thought it might be a change of pace for me, but I wasn't feeling it at all. :/ 

13639182

I really wanted to love this one, but right from the start I was confused. The direction it took kinda turned me off, but just about every book turns me off these days. 

20820994

I blame this one on the narrator. I loved The Sky is Everywhere, but the annoying voice that the narrator give the grandmother, well it was tolerable in that book. I think it was too soon for me to start this one, especially in audio, because the grandmothers thoughts or whatever you want to call them.. it sounded the same. And the story was kind of dragging for me. Not sure why. 

19367070

I'm sure this book is great. I have always liked Kiersten Whites writing. It's fun and quirky, so I thought.. just maybe!!! Nope. Couldn't get into this one either. 

14811468

So how about an anthology!!! Surely I can get into short stories! Ha! I couldn't even finish the first one. 

18722924

I decided to give this one a shot because I know the author. I met her in person at YA Fest. I thought having that connection would help keep me interested in the story. 

I was wrong. 

The thing is, it's not the books. It's me. 

Totally me. 


I do plan to revisit some of these books in the future when things calm down. But until then, I'll be reading some fluffy romance that doesn't take much thought. :) 




9 comments:

  1. I totally know what you mean! Sometimes when you're not feeling anything a lot of books suffer for it. Sometimes I just need that one right book to get back in the swing of things. I just did a list like this for books I didn't finish just the other week. I like posts like this because it's sometimes hard for blogger to admit that some books don't get finished. Glad to know I'm not the only one!

    Crystal @ Books Unbound

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had to not finish a few books lately also :-( I suggest going back and re-reading a book that you already know you love to get back into reading! I always do that when I can't get into books, and it usually works.

    Em @ http://theyabookbutterfly.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just thinking about doing a post of all my recent DNF books too, I've had a few recently. Bummer these didn't work out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like you and Nereyda I was thinking of doing a DNF post, too. Probably wait until end of year, though. I hate DNF'ing a book, but life is too short to keep reading books that aren't happening for you. I read so many in high school I thought I did not enjoy reading any more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard so many people rave about I'll Give You the Sun! I'm still definitely going to try that at some point, but bleh. Some of these don't even appeal to me right now. I hardly ever dnf, but sometimes I feel like I'm purely reading a book in order to "say" I read it. But I really couldn't care less because I'm sooo not feeling the book. :|

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely understand your pain!! I've been trying to stick to books I can guarantee I'll love, yet even some of those have been disappointing recently :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this is the first DNF or negative review I've seen of I'll Give You The Sun. Most people seem to be loving it. I'm not that bothered about the book I'm reading at the moment (Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson) but I can't bring myself to DNF very often!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally get you, April. There are times when you just want to read to relax and not think too much. Which is why I read very few sci-fi books and often go for romance or middle grade. No judging, reading is a mood thing too. :) - Joy @ The Bookshelf Intruder

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sorry about I'll Give You the Sun. I could not stand Noah's voice, and I really liked Jude's chapters much more. I almost DNFed this one when they brought up whale reproductive parts. Um, ew.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...