Tuesday, July 1, 2014




Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by the awesome ladies at The Broke and the Bookish. Apparently, they are overly fond of list-making and love to share their bookish lists with the rest of us book nerds.  =) We're game.







This week's topic is the Top Ten Classics We've Read or Hope to Read:

April's Picks:


As you can see, I'm a huge Jane Austen fan. I was that weirdo in school who read them all before we had to. A few other that really stuck with me over the years, Number the Stars and Anne Frank. Which makes me think that maybe I will like Code Name Verity when I finally get around to listening to it. And of course, we can't forget The Face on the Milk Carton. Seriously, I was so obsessed with that book growing up. And A Wrinkle in Time. When we started reading that book in school, I thought, ugh.. this is going to suck, but I ended up finishing it before the class even made it past chapter three.

Classics I Haven't Read Yet But Should


I feel like everyone has read this except for me. This needs to change! :) 


Jen's Picks:

The Classics I Loved...or At Least Learned to Love:
(you can click on the pic to make it bigger) 

Emma by Jane Austen was probably the one that started it all. Like April, I read most of Jane Austen's novels before they were required as assigned reading, and they're my go-to escape novels. Fahrenheit 451 and 1984 were both my first forays into dystopian fiction, and I'll not soon forget them. (They're probably also why I find it so hard to connect with the newer dystopian novels being released.) I'm a big fan of the epic novel, and I still find myself gravitating toward fiction that makes any mention of Homer's The Odyssey. I also still love tragic stories, which is how Macbeth and Wuthering Heights made my list. And then there are the stories that teach you a little bit about humanity and human nature, a la To Kill a Mockingbird, A Tale of Two Cities, Little Women, and Slaughterhouse Five. I actually really liked most of the novels forced upon me in school, and though these are the stand-outs, I could list many more. Of course, I also have a long list of those I never got around to reading...

The Classics I Still Need to Make Time For:

Here's the thing, and this is no excuse because I could have read them on my own, but when I was in high school, each different level of a class read different works of literature. So, while the regular English Lit students got to read The Great Gatsby, and the honors class was reading Of Mice and Men, the A/P class was stuck reading Tess of the d'Urbervilles. And though most of my classmates hated that novel, I read it in two days. But I still wish we'd been assigned some of those other classics that resonate better with readers. Guess it's time to set a challenge for myself, akin to the one I did for my Summer TBR pile.


What are your favorite classic novels? Be sure to share a link to your TTT post so we can visit!



7 comments:

  1. Frankenstein and Of Mice and Men are two of my favourites - I definitely recommend them! I love Macbeth and 1984, too. Great choices!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a throwback! I remember reading Number The Stars when I was in school! Loved it! Great picks!

    Our TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my ... Island of the Blue Dolphins just threw me right back to grade school. Sigh. Loved that!!! I could have done a top ten list with just Austen, Shelley and the Brontes, so totally agree with you with those picks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HA, Jen, "learned to love," which I love that you said that. I need to read basically everything on ya'll's lists because I'm not a classic person, but I WANT to be. Emma, Little Women (stupid Amy), and as you know, Jen, The Great Gatsby is a must on my TBR someday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I once watched 'The Taming Of The Shrew at the Globe. It was FANTASTIC. I love To Kill A Mockingbird and Pride & Prejudice too, great picks! The Phantom Of The Opera made it to my list of Classics I have yet to read!

    Check out my TTT!

    Katrina @ Chased By My Imagination

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved Island of the Blue Dolphins and Fahrenheit 451 : )

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...