Tuesday, August 12, 2014




Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by the awesome ladies at The Broke and the Bookish. Apparently, they are overly fond of list-making and love to share their bookish lists with the rest of us book nerds.  =) We're game.







This week's topic is the Top Ten Books I'm Not Sure I Want To Read -- books you may have bought but aren't sure if you are into it anymore, books you wanted to read but heard mixed things about, hyped books you aren't sure about -- basically any book that has you going, "TO READ OR NOT TO READ?":


April's Picks:

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon - Um, this book is crazy freaking long. And plus I'm not sure it's something I'll be into. Though everyone seems to love it and there is that show so I guess I should give a try.. 

Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell - She is a fantastic writer. I really enjoyed Fangirl and Landline, but something about the description on this one tells me I'm not going to like it as much. Plus Jen didn't love this one as much and since our tastes are often similar, I've been putting this one off. 

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo - I'm not sure exactly why I keep putting this one off, but it's been on sale numerous times for kindle and I still cannot convince myself to buy it.  

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire - There are so many reasons I am torn on this one. I blame the New Adult phenomenon. 

The Cuckoo's Calling by J.K. Rowling - Yeah, I know.. it says Robert Galbraith but who even cares about that fake name. The idea of reading anything by this woman that isn't set in the Harry Potter world scares the living shit out of me. My friend really loved it though. 

The Shade of the Moon by Susan Beth Pfeffer - I read the first three books. They were pretty great. I love survival stuff. It was really just supposed to be a trilogy.. but then this book came out and I've heard not promising things. What if reading it ruins how I felt about the previous books? 

Requiem by Lauren Oliver - This is another case of series ending fear. Plus some didn't like how it all wrapped up. That makes me nervous

Girl of Nightmares by Kendare Blake - I loved Anna Dressed in Blood. Can this one compete? We will find out. because though I've put it off, I plan to get to it at last this fall. Hopefully I wont be disappointed. 

Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi - Ha! So when this one came out I read a review that mentioned the main characters first period making  her smell of violets. Now I'm not dirty, but it certainly doesn't smell like that. Like ever! Not even if you stuff a bushel up there. So I've held off because I'm not sure I can take this book seriously if that's indeed how things are in this world. lol. 

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn - This book is pretty well loved. My cousin read it last year and she was not at all happy with the ending which is what has kept me from picking it up. 

Jen's Picks:


The Jewel by Amy Ewing - April and I are supposed to buddy read this one together, but it's release date is drawing nearer and I've heard not-so-good things...esp. rumblings that it's VERY similar to The Selection, inside and out. I'm still up for it if April is, but I'm not going to force the issue, lol.

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon - I have the audio -- which is about 34 hours long! -- and I have a PB copy I won somewhere. And it's size is daunting, as well. I watched the preview episode on Starz, and I gotta be honest, I might just watch the show without ever reading the book. It's very good, and I don't feel like I'm missing out. More likely, I'd be upset over how some things are adapted. Right?

City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare - I was done with this series when it was only supposed to be three books, but like a trooper, I slogged through books four and five. And I honestly don't remember much from them besides Jace being brainwashed or whatever. I think my lack of caring sealed the deal. Why do I own all of the books in the series again -- except this one?

Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Page - Big fan of The Wizard of Oz right here. Thought this would be a done deal. But then I read the prequel story, and I kinda loathed it. Now I'm not sure whether to pick up the ARC or not...

No One Else Can Have You by Kathleen Hale - I still want to read this, I think, but IIRC, there was some bad author behavior or something, and that always makes me wary. I still really love that cover, though.

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith - Loved TSPoYaM. TiWHLL was a little less lovable but still cute. I usually love novels that take place over the span of one day or night, but apparently that's not all TGoYaM is about and I'm less inclined to read this one than I once was.

Deep Blue by Jennifer Donnelly - I was so damn excited for this book and my squee could be heard round the world when I got that awesome promotional package. I even got April excited about it. But her review has me less than thrilled to finally dive into this mermaid adventure.

Fire & Flood by Victoria Scott - Love this author socially and in person -- yay, Texas authors -- but the comparisons to The Hunger Games have me worried...and not as a marketing ploy but from other reviewers.

Falling into Place by Amy Zhang - I won this as part of a prize pack and knew little to nothing about it, except that it's written by someone exceptionally young. However, now I keep seeing mentions of how sad it is, and I really have to be in the mood for one of those books.

Vault of Dreamers by Caragh M. O'Brien - I wasn't going to request this. Then the publicist contacted me and made it sound great. Then reviews started popping up. And now I am conflicted. :(


Which books have you scratching your head, wondering if they're worth your time after all? :) Be sure to share a link to your TTT post so we can visit!



22 comments:

  1. April: You absolutely NEED to read Girl of Nightmares! I LOVE the Anna Dressed in Blood series. It's one of my faves. I gave both installments 5 stars -- which is a rarity for me! I think you'll be surprised by Blake's imagination. It's very twisty! Just be aware, there isn't a whole lot of Anna in it. It's more about Cas and his inner growth, but I LOVED it! Eleanor and Park made me cry! It was sad but it also makes you feel good. The only issue I had with this book is that it isn't entirely balanced; it explores Eleanor's issues on a deeper level. Don't get me wrong, they are both fabulous characters, but Park has issues of his own that hardly get addressed. You can skip Requiem! It was one of the worst disappointments of last year. You'll just be wasting your time, in my opinion. You're unsure of Shadow and Bone? I'm unsure of Siege and Storm! (I forgot to add it to my list though.) Hmmm... we should ride out this series together!

    Jen: Dorothy Must Die also made it to my list! I want to read it, but then I don't. Ha! The idea of it sounds awesome, but sooo many things could go terribly wrong. I just don't know. Deep Blue is another one I'm hesitant about, but I completely forgot to add it to my list. I won an ARC. I read one page, and I couldn't continue. Maybe I wasn't in the mood at the time or maybe the mixed reviews got inside my head, but I know for sure, I won't be reading it anytime soon. Bummer. Vault of Dreamers was another one I was looking forward to this year, but the less than stellar reviews are making me rethink my enthusiasm. If you do read it Jen, I hope the experience is more positive for you. I don't think I'd ever attempt to read Outlander. I'm with you on that one; I'll catch the show instead! Haha!

    Awesome lists, ladies! I'd comment on every single one of your book selections, but then I'd be here all night. :P

    Marlene @ The Flyleaf Review

    ReplyDelete
  2. I positively loved Beautiful Disaster, but I understand why people didn't like it. I read it before I read so many other NAs- I'm honestly getting a bit sick of the genre (but that's a whole other topic of discussion). I also really liked Girl of Nightmares. Though, that being said, I didn't read the first book. So I definitely wouldn't have the same reading experience that you would.

    I feel the same about No One Else Can Have You. I had really looked forward to it, but then I watched all the author's drama on social networking, and really just got turned off by it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have to read Eleanor and Park, and not just because it's set in the 80s and that, of course, automatically makes it awesome. But because it's such a beautifully raw story!

    And, you know, the 80s

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen, I feel you about The Jewel. I wasn't such a big fan of the Selection, but the cover just mesmerises me (which is something that has always, always led me wrong). I'm tossing up whether to just go for it, or to forgo it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't think Fire & Flood was so much like The Hunger Games. Maybe very loosly, but there are enough BIG deviations that further separate the two books in my brain. It just has a completely different tone, and the characters are much different too. Especially the female MC. She's as far from Katniss as you can get. :)

    And, I have CoHF on my list for the exact same reasons as you. :/

    TTT @ Krista's Dust Jacket

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dorothy Must Die and The Cuckoo's Calling both made my list, I am so unsure about whether I would enjoy them but for differing reasons! I do however recommend Shadow & Bone as an amazing book, I was worried I wouldn't like it despite the hype, but I wasn't disappointed. Deep Blue received a lot of mixed reviews, but I did really enjoy it! I will say that there was a lot of info dumping at the start, but if you get past that it's a really good story in my opinion.

    http://chasedbymyimagination.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/top-ten-tuesday-my-picks-for-books-im.html > Check out my TTT!

    Katrina @ Chased By My Imagination

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm terrified to read Vault of Dreamers after seeing those early reviews! I've avoided Dorothy Must Die too...just not sure I'll ever read it. I do love Kendare Blake and Leigh Bardugo though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. April-I think Anna Girl of Nightmares could be skipped. It was nice to have an ending I guess? But nowhere near as good as the first. I loved Cuckoo's Calling! Its a really well told story and I love Strike and Robin!

    I forgot about Outlander. I'm totally with you both on this. Just so big.

    ReplyDelete
  9. April: I completely agree with you about the Cuckoo's Calling. I'm nervous about reading something else by J. K. Rowling. I don't want to be disappointed; although, I have heard some good things about both of her adult novels.

    April & Jen: Outlander made it onto my list (and it seems a lot of other's as well) because of the time issue too! I want to read it (especially with the show and all), but I just have no time to commit to that right now. Maybe in the future...

    Jen: I haven't really thought about Heavenly Fire until I've seen it on one or two of these lists. I've read the first three books in the series and wasn't even questioning about continuing on. But I've also realized that I haven't been going back to pick up book 4 and do just that. Maybe subconsciously I'm hesitant about the rest of the series. I had forgotten that it was just supposed to be a trilogy. I did enjoy books 1-3 though so I might end up back reading book 4, I just haven't gotten to it yet.

    I actually really enjoyed Fire & Flood more than the Hunger Games, but that could just be me :)

    Thank for both of the lists! Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read Eleanor and Park because of all the hype and even though I finished it, I didn't really like it. I really loved Anna Dressed in Blood too so I hope you read Girl of Nightmares soon! The Delirium series was disappointing because the ending didn't feel like an ending to me. I'm really interested in Fire and Flood though. I really want to find out why people say it's like The Hunger Games meets Pokémon ;)

    Here's my TTT :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ April. It seems the Majority of people who read the Shadow and Bone series really enjoyed it, so there's a good chance you'll like it too. Although there's also the chance that you'll fall into the minority of readers who didn't like it, like me. I read it and didn't enjoy it. I don't even know why since the concept is really cool and the world was addicting to read about. I think it was because I felt the writing was lacking a bit. There could have been more world building and much more character development, especially for the Darkling.

    @Jen. I sympathize with Dorothy Most Die. At first I really wanted to read it because I Love the Wizard of Oz world, but then I saw all these negative reviews for it. And most of these reviews come from reviews who have similar tastes as me. So, I am also really on the fence on whether or not to read it.

    My TTT
    http://kimberlysnovelnotes.blogspot.com/2014/08/top-ten-tuesday-51.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. April please read The Cuckoo's Calling! It's definitely worth reading. It certainly isn't HP but it isn't meant to be! I read Gone Girl and even though the ending is ridiculous and the characters are both idiots I actually really, really liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. April: I didn't like Eleanor and Park as much as I did Fangirl, but I still thought that it was a good book.
    Jen: Yeah, books four and five in the Mortal Instruments were pretty underwhelming, but I liked City of Heavenly Fire a great deal more than the previous two, so maybe you should give it a chance.
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  14. April: Um, yeah I'm a bit weirded about by the violet/period thing. SAY WHAT?!! There's poetic writing, I guess, but then there's plain rubbish. I really didn't like the first book so I'm absolutely not going to finish the trilogy. I didn't love Eleanor and Park! I actually found it kind of too slow and the romance was sweet but...yeah, a bit boring. ;)

    Jen: You and me both for Dorothy Must Die! I found Fire & Flood and The Geography of You and Me both quite meh books. Like 3-star range, which disappoints me, because I wanted something awesome in F&F. Falling into Place is really sweet, although I kind of didn't sympathise with anyone...it was really beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am just here to say that, April, you absolutely must read Under the Never Sky! It has one of the most amazing romances - ever - and Veronica Rossi's writing is just so lovely. About the violets.. hmm. I remember Perry saying she smelled like them, but I don't think it was in regards to her period lol. I can't remember though. He IS able to tell when she's on it, but the violets thing is brought up several times throughout the series, and it's not referring to THAT lol.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I feel like I can comment on almost all of April's picks, and basically none of Jen's. I love Outlander. It's long, but it's a great story. I just read Shadow and Bone last week, and it was amazing! I'd highly recommend it (my 5 star review is coming later this week). I have Beautiful Disaster, but haven't started it yet. I really liked Anna Dressed in Blood, but am totally torn for book 2 as I think it worked great as a standalone story. Gone Girl is another book I just read recently, and was totally blown away by it. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That comment about Under the Never Sky and the violets cracked me up. That book made my list, too, but not for that reason. I'm actually more curious about it now!

    Outlander didn't make my list, but it is one of those books that I've thought about reading... and then I remind myself that it's really, really long and I convince myself that, nah, I don't need to read it after all. I hope I'll get around to it one day... but I'm going to have to get past my worries about the length!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've been on the fence about Eleanor and Park as well, but I also wasn't the biggest fan of Fangirl. I think I'm going to try an adult Rowell book and see whether I have an issue more with her younger books, or with her books in general (hopefully it's the former), so I'm not sure I'll ever get to E&P myself.
    I also am unsure about The Cuckoo's Calling. I have read The Casual Vacancy, which wasn't bad, but it wasn't nearly as good as HP and now for JKR to have written something else so completely different...I don't know if I can take it haha.
    Also, I'm totally with both of you on Outlander. I kind of want to be able to appreciate the hype and attention it's been receiving, but it's a long commitment for something I'm not entirely sure I'll enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. UNDER THE NEVER SKY AND SHADOW AND BONE?! I...I can't breathe.

    And Falling Into Place is the only one out of that list I've read and I really...enjoyed it. It was a great book, DIFFERENT, but great. So many I agree on (Dorothy Must Die, anyone?)

    Oh wait, I read The Jewel too. Don't do it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would read Requiem. I read it and although I didn't love the ending, I did like the rest of the book.
    And I really enjoyed The Geography of You and Me, the story line is partly in the span of a day but there is also more to it. Not just that one day.

    Em @ http://theyabookbutterfly.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. The only one of these I've read is Gone Girl, and I cannot recommend it. I was one of the ones who wanted to throw the book across the room. I have Vault of Dreamers for review, but I haven't had time to read it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really enjoyed Shadow & Bone, and that's not even my usual genre. But it was really great. Fire & Flood was also awesome to me. I read it before any reviews came in talking about its similarities to the Hunger Games. Honestly, I didn't feel that way about it, though I can see now how others may have. I think it's definitely still worth a read, as long as you have an open mind going in. I'm really nervous to read The Jewel too. The Geography of You and Me was just "okay" to me. It was kind of a letdown because I loved her others so much. Overall, I'm glad I read it, but it wasn't as great as I thought it would be.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...