Saturday, August 16, 2014

The Weekend Update - 8.16.14

Saturday, August 16, 2014 with 16 comments
So, since my end-of-the-week post isn't just about what I got in my mailbox or on my Kindle each week -- though that is a big part of it, I won't lie -- I decided to change up the title and intro a bit.  I might tweak the format a bit over the next few weeks, but for the most part, it'll contain the same stuff: stuff I got, stuff I did, and stuff that's coming up on the blog.  Plus, I get to use the awesome GIF you see here and blow kisses to all the people who sent me lovely books and bookish things.  Oh, and I've started linking up to Stacking the Shelves hosted by Tynga's Reviews since I'm not using a specific meme title anymore.  April's also doing her own Stacking the Shelves posts on Sundays.  Stop by and say hi!  =)
Omigodomigodomigod! I can't believe there's only one week until school starts back for Katie. Where did the summer go?!? I mean, I like the routine we have going during the school year, but it was really nice to just let loose this summer. We've all got some adjusting to do. :) This is about when schools around here usually go back, but I saw some elsewhere going back two weeks ago or as late as after Labor Day. Maybe some of that is districts that have year-round school? When do they go back where you live? Are you sad to send your little ones off or are you glad to be rid of them? Lol.

Anyway, here's what I scored this week:

For Review:

Ugly LoveEvery BreathThe Young Elites (The Young Elites, #1)

Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover - audio, thanks Simon & Schuster! (review)
Every Breath by Ellie Marney - galley, thanks Random House Canada!
The Young Elites by Marie Lu - galley, thanks Penguin & First to Read!

Gifted:



From one of my closest blogging friends Emily over at Book Jems, I got these beauties for my birthday. They're a little late -- seeing as how my birthday was back in May -- because of a mix up at the post office, but they're no less loved! =D And to be fair, her prezzies are equally late because the bookshop ran out of what I wanted to get her, and I'm still waiting on confirmation of shipment. o_O Anyway, thank you so much, Em, for my beautiful birthday presents and for having so many wonderful authors autograph my birthday sign! =)

Library:

These Broken Stars (Starbound, #1)Rivals and Retribution (13 to Life, #5)

These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner (audio) - Dying to get to my ARC of This Shattered World, but I need a refresher first -- and yes, I know TSW is not a sequel but a companion...forgive me if I wanted to spend some more time with Tarver :D
Rivals and Retribution by Shannon Delany - I loved this series back when I was just an average reader and my blog was just a fledgling, and until I saw it on the library website, I had forgotten that the final book was released last year. o_O

Purchased:

#Islaishere and she's already made some new friends! =D

Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins - FINALLY!!!!!!!!!! And. It. Is. A-DOR-A-BLE!!!

Stolen Songbird (The Malediction Trilogy, #1)

Stolen Songbird by Danielle L. Jensen - Heard such wonderful things about this book, plus TROLLS! Got it on sale for my Kindle for $1.99.

Freebies:

Vigilante: A Guard's Tale from Ana's Perspective

Vigilante by Sarah Fine - Free as part of the Chaos preorder campaign


So, that's my haul. How about you? What did you get this week?




The Week in Review:

Reviews:
Current Giveaways: 

Check back soon for this giveaway:


Promotional/Discussion Posts:  

Jen's Currently Reading/Listening To:

The Winner's Curse (The Winner's Trilogy, #1)Chasing Before (The Memory Chronicles, #2)Finished Isla yesterday, so I'm getting back to Chasing Before now. Loved the first book. Loved the novella of memories from new and old characters. Have no doubt I'll feel the same way about this book...as long as Julian makes an appearance soon. =)




Was in between audiobooks for review, so I thought I'd re-read/listen to a favorite. I LOVED The Winner's Curse when I read it earlier this year, but one of my favorite authors Elizabeth Fama swears that this audiobook is perfection. I am not a big fan of the narrator, but I have to admit, she does an admirable job with this novel. Haven't had much time to listen yet, but so far, I'm loving it even more this go-around.


Upcoming Reviews:


Chasing Before (The Memory Chronicles, #2)Isla and the Happily Ever After (Anna and the French Kiss, #3)Where Silence Gathers (Some Quiet Place, #2)Sweet Reckoning (The Sweet Trilogy, #3)The Taking (The Taking, #1)Breathe, Annie, BreatheSix Months LaterA Midsummer's Nightmare




Follow on BloglovinLike honest reviews & giveaways?  Be sure to follow us on Bloglovin' so you never miss out!



16 comments:

  1. IM SO JELLY. You have Young Elites. *grabby hands* And I've been wanting to read Alienated for a while and I'm dying to start Isla! Happy very (very very) late birthday ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugly Love! Excited to get to that although I still have Maybe Someday to get to as well. Really liked Alienated and These Broken Stars. Been wanting to get to Not A Drop To Drink. I'll probably get Isla next month when I go to the signing. Hope it is as good as Lola.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely understand wanting to spend more time with Tarver. You and me both. ;) I'd go for a reread if I had time but...*sigh* I don't really. I'm trying to chew through my books so I can go back and read some older ones, like finishing series. I'm probably the only person in the world who hasn't read all the Harry Potters yet. >_< Or City of bones or Gallagher Girls! I NEED TO GET A MOVE ON. Oh but yay for Isla and Young Elites! So much awesome. :)
    My Sunday Post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are some great books! I hope you enjoy them all!

    My StS

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have Such a Great Haul!
    I have been wanting Alienated and These Broken Stars forever! I
    Absolutely LOVED Ugly Love
    Hope you enjoy all your treasures
    My STS

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm so exited for the young elites

    hope you enjoy them to pieces

    ReplyDelete
  7. So crazy that Katie goes back to school in one week. :( Summer went too fast. Most of the schools around here go back on September 2nd. But Aubrey's school goes back the 27th. Weird. I guess that extra few days is because we are on the mountain and get more snow. :) Hope you are having a great weekend!

    I haven't bought Ilsa yet. I'm undecided on whether I want to go Audio or Kindle for that one. Plus, I've got my hands full at the moment with reads. So there is time to decide. lol. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isla!! I hope you like Isla! I really liked it. Cricket Bell is still my numero Uno! And I loved Ugly Love!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved ISLA and EVERY BREATH. Enjoy them! Curious about how you like Ugly Love, though I suspect you'll love it. LOOOOVEEED THE WINNER'S CURSE via audio. So good. That's one I'll probably listen to over again. Great haul!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I keep seeing posts about Ugly Love. It may be on my "bought" list next week - http://anurseandabook.blogspot.com/2014/08/stacking-shelves-august-17-2014.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't stand Justine Eyre! I can't bring myself to listen to anything she narrates which sucks because she does a shit ton of YA books. That voice though...*cringes*
    Have you heard the audio sample for Isla? The girl is horrible, she sounds like a robot. The reviews for the audio are bad. They say the kindle text-to-speech would have been better. Sucks!
    I have the old Anna and Lola books and I hate the the new Isla is in hardcover but the new covers are in paperback. Urghhhhh!
    Enjoy your books :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I still maintain that even though Justine Eyre's voice is all moany and breathy in the audio of TWC, it's somehow really suited to the piece. Her narration is just plain smart in this one.

    Today I saw that Marie Lu got a starred review from Publishers Weekly for THE YOUNG ELITE, so it looks like she's off to a great start with that one! I can't wait to see what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Every Breath!! I love this book so much! I can't wait for everyone to read it!
    And Tarver - oh man, wait until you see him in the second book... YUM. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Look at all the pretties- Great books this week. I hope you enjoy ;)

    Happy Reading!

    My Weekly Wrap Up Post

    Michelle @ Book Briefs

    ReplyDelete
  15. I couldn't believe school started on the 11th here. So early! In PA they start on the 26th for the most part. The Young Elites looks really good. I never read her other series, but I plan to pick it up. I can't wait to get to Isla. I'm starting it this weekend. Great haul. I hope this last week with Katie was awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...