Saturday, August 23, 2014

The Weekend Update - 8.23.14

Saturday, August 23, 2014 with 8 comments
So, since my end-of-the-week post isn't just about what I got in my mailbox or on my Kindle each week -- though that is a big part of it, I won't lie -- I decided to change up the title and intro a bit.  I might tweak the format a bit over the next few weeks, but for the most part, it'll contain the same stuff: stuff I got, stuff I did, and stuff that's coming up on the blog.  Plus, I get to use the awesome GIF you see here and blow kisses to all the people who sent me lovely books and bookish things.  Oh, and I've started linking up to Stacking the Shelves hosted by Tynga's Reviews since I'm not using a specific meme title anymore.  April's also doing her own Stacking the Shelves posts on Sundays.  Stop by and say hi!  =)
If this last week is any indication, the rest of the year is going to fly by because we're going to be SO busy. Katie's going into the first grade, which means MORE homework. :( We went to Meet the Teacher on Thursday, and her teacher seems nice and fair, so at least we have that to look forward to, though they're already switching classes this year. Not sure how I feel about that. But the other teacher mostly concentrates on reading, and she seemed nice, too. We also signed Katie up for soccer this year. It's a little unorganized right now, but the point is to have fun, so I'm trying not to let the control freak in me, well, freak out. :P I have a habit of doing that, lol.

Anyway, here's what I scored this week:

For Review:

The Mime Order (The Bone Season, #2)Sacrifice (Elemental, #5)

The Mime Order - sneak preview - by Samantha Shannon - thanks to Christina! Cannot WAIT to read more of this world!
Sacrifice by Brigid Kemmerer - galley, thanks Kensington! MICHAEL'S STORY! I AM EXCITE!!!


Library:

Invisible (The Twixt, #2)Born Wicked (The Cahill Witch Chronicles, #1)

Invisible by Dawn Metcalf - Really enjoyed the first book and I'm anxious to see where the story goes in this sequel
Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood - I've been wanting to read this forever -- I even have a signed copy (I think...I might have given it away) -- but I just never found the time. But my library just got the audio so I'm MAKING time for it now. =)


So, that's my haul. How about you? What did you get this week?




The Week in Review:

Reviews:
Current Giveaways: 

Clear Your Shelf Giveaway - August 2014


Promotional/Discussion Posts:  

Jen's Currently Reading/Listening To:

Born Wicked (The Cahill Witch Chronicles, #1)WinterkillOkay, so I started off reading Zac & Mia earlier this week but realized my galley for Winterkill was going to expire soon, so I started it, too. And I'm terribly intrigued by it so I've kind of forgotten about Zac & Mia for a bit. :( But I'll get both finished and reviewed for next week if it kills me.




Just started Born Wicked yesterday after I finished my re-listen of The Sea of Tranquility. I am really enjoying just listening for fun, without any of intention of reviewing since I've been doing a ton of re-reading/listening the past few weeks. Not sure if I'll review this one or not, but I'm going to listen for the sheer pleasure of it for now.


Upcoming Reviews:


Zac and MiaWinterkillBreathe, Annie, BreatheSix Months LaterA Midsummer's Nightmare

These are all potential reviews...those last three, anyway. If I didn't receive the title for review, I'm much less likely to actually review it, especially if it's an older release. But I'd still like to share my thoughts eventually. I'm just a little behind on reviews, and those are the first ones to get shelved, so to speak. :(




Follow on BloglovinLike honest reviews & giveaways?  Be sure to follow us on Bloglovin' so you never miss out!



8 comments:

  1. Omg, I completely forgot about Indelible (although I thought it was actually called "Inedible"...oops. No wonder no one knows what I'm talking about on twitter. >_<) I didn't realise there was a sequel and now I'm excited!! But seriously...homework in grade 1?! That seems so wrong to me. Heh. I hope the soccer is fun. ;)
    My Stacking the Shelves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Haul!. Have a wonderful weekend.
    Diane @ Diane's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to read the first of Samantha Shannon's books. I've had it for a while now. Enjoy the new one!

    My StS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First grade does seem a bit young for homework, but it is good to get them used to it, I guess. I like that elementary is starting to split math and reading teachers. Most teachers really do have one or the other as a strong suit. I have a feeling this year will go relatively fast. This is the first time since I was in school myself that I hope so.

    I've been meaning to pick up The Bone Season for forever. I started Winterkill this week, too, but it's been put on the back burner for Stephanie Perkin's books. As one does.

    Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a signed copy of Born Wicked. It still sits on my shelf. I suck. lol. Maybe I should try and make some time for it, with Halloween right around the corner and all.

    Cant Believe our girls are starting 1st grade this summer. where the heck did summer go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am super excited over Winterkill! I am looking forward to your review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We decided against soccer and I have to thank you for reminding me about the summer heat. My poor kiddo hates the heat so he would have been so miserable. He starts school next week (pre-k). Time goes so fast it's unreal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAY! BORN WICKED! :D I'm so in love with these books. I was going to read the 3rd, Sister's Fate the weekend it came out, but then I decided I needed to make time for a reread/skim of the 2nd book first to get back into that fabulous world properly. I'm really excited to see what you think!

    Also, my son is starting first grade too! It's killing me how giant he is getting. I think he grows in the night. He's taking piano lessons this year too. Plus, I'm taking 3 classes each semester to finish up my transfer program by spring. So I understand the business. I'm worried about reading time, but I'm sure I'll get it in there somehow. :) Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...