Saturday, June 28, 2014

The Weekend Update - 6.28.14

Saturday, June 28, 2014 with 24 comments
So, since my end-of-the-week post isn't just about what I got in my mailbox or on my Kindle each week -- though that is a big part of it, I won't lie -- I decided to change up the title and intro a bit.  I might tweak the format a bit over the next few weeks, but for the most part, it'll contain the same stuff: stuff I got, stuff I did, and stuff that's coming up on the blog.  Plus, I get to use the awesome GIF you see here and blow kisses to all the people who sent me lovely books and bookish things.  Oh, and I've started linking up to Stacking the Shelves hosted by Tynga's Reviews since I'm not using a specific meme title anymore.  April's also doing her own Stacking the Shelves posts on Sundays.  Stop by and say hi!  =)



It's been a nice, abnormally rainy week here in North Texas, but that just means I've spent a good amount of time curled up on the couch with a good book. =) I've also been enjoying the unseasonably -- for Texas, anyway, we're usually topping out near 100° by now -- cooler temperatures, and I'm hoping they stick around next week for the Fourth of July holiday. If only there were some way to ensure that the Texas-sized mosquitoes didn't hang around, too, though. *sigh*

In other news, I'm apparently raising a really good kid. Not really news to me, but I thought I'd share this little anecdote. :) So, I go to pick up Katie from daycare on Thursday, and her teacher Miss Dianne pulls me aside, which is usually an indication that the girl got hurt again. (She's very accident-prone.) Instead, she proceeds to tell me how Katie's been playing so well with the new girl who has Down's Syndrome, sharing her toys and spending a lot of time with her. Katie's been talking about the new girl -- I'll call her Cindy for privacy purposes -- for the last two weeks, but not once did she mention that Cindy was any different from her or the rest of her classmates. She just said she was nice and that she had fun playing with her, that she'd made a new friend. So, I wasn't even aware there was a child with special needs at the daycare this summer. But to find out that my daughter treats her with the kindness and fairness that she does everyone else -- even when Miss Dianne tells me other children are not so nice to Cindy -- well, that makes my heart happy and full. Katie's always been a tender-hearted, caring child, but this just reaffirms everything I've ever believed about her. *sniffles*

Anyway, here's what I scored this week:

For Review:

Salt & StormBelzharSinner (The Wolves of Mercy Falls #3.5)The FallThe Bone Season (The Bone Season, #1)

Salt & Storm by Kendall Kulper - I am sooooooo unbelievably, ridiculously excited for this book!!!
Belzhar by Meg Wolitzer - this just sounds so interesting!
Sinner by Maggie Stiefvater - Cole & Isabel's story!!!!! =)
The Fall by Bethany Griffin - love her Poe retellings!
The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon - paperback received from publisher for re-read-along ;) - I read and reviewed the audio last year

Library, Freebies & Deals:

The Assassin's Blade (Throne of Glass, #0.1-0.5)Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1)Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2)

Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas - from library for re-read/listen in preparation for Heir of Fire

Catch a Falling StarBroken Hearts, Fences, and Other Things to Mend (Broken Hearts & Revenge, #1)To All the Boys I've Loved Before (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #1)

Catch a Falling Star by Kim Culbertson - audio from library - missed reviewing my galley but I want to get to it sooner rather than later...feels like cheating, but whatevs ;0)
Broken Hearts, Fences & Other Things to Mend by Katie Finn (aka Morgan Matson) - ditto
To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han - audio on sale, purchased ebook a couple of weeks ago; all told, I think I spent $5 on both versions, which is quite a steal  =)


So, that's my haul. How about you? What did you get this week?




The Week in Review:

Reviews:

Current Giveaways:


 photo e8f0043c-e8d1-4d4c-9d18-94a038cc6773_zpsa6b59426.jpg

Win an audiobook from our list of favorites!
2 winners - INTERNATIONAL

Promotional/Discussion Posts:  


Jen's Currently Reading/Listening To:

Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2)WildI had to put I'll Give You the Sun on hold in favor of review books that release early in July, like Wild and Boomerang, both of which I'm enjoying/enjoyed. And both of which I'll be reviewing next week. :)




I'm in the process of re-reading/listening to all of the previous books in the Throne of Glass series so that I can hurry and read Heir of Fire -- for review and hopefully before anyone has a chance to spoil it for me. And it's going splendidly. I just finished the book of five novellas -- my first time reading them -- and I loved getting to know Celaena even better. Dying to get to HoF!!!


Upcoming Reviews:

Mini-reviews of:
Life by CommitteePaper ValentineThe Assassin's Blade (Throne of Glass, #0.1-0.5)

And full reviews (hopefully!) of:
Boomerang (Boomerang, #1)WildHaze (The Rephaim, #2)



Follow on BloglovinLike honest reviews & giveaways?  Be sure to follow us on Bloglovin' so you never miss out!



24 comments:

  1. oooo Sinner! Jealous. Looking forward to that. Loved To All The Boys I've Loved Before. Hopefully a good audio. I am like the only person that doesn't like the Throne of Glass series. Never could even finish the first book. Curious to look up spoilers and see how it ends though. Even though I'm not a big fan I still want her to end up with Prince Dorian. I did like him. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHAT?!? Have you MET Dorian and Chaol? And Celaena is sooo badass! Maybe you'd like it on audio? ;) Personally, I'm rooting for Chaol still, but seeing as how there are SIX books planned, I think, it's going to be awhile before anything's definite. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh your daughter is just buckets of awesome. SHE IS. You are obviously an awesome mother as well, then, right?! ;) But, ermagerd, excuse me while I fangirl furiously over Sinner. I WANT TO READ IT SO SO BAD! I'm hoping I get approved for an arc. *fingers crossed* or else I am at BD the day it's available. x) I love Maggie Stiefvater's books so much!
    My Stacking the Shelves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is! And I AM. :D I'm a huge Maggie fan, too. But I think I'm looking forward to Blue Lily even more than this one. Hope you get a copy...when does it release in Australia?

      Delete
  3. Nice haul of books. You are so lucky to get a Sinner ARC. Was thinking of getting The Fall, but decided not to. I have enough e-galleys.

    Grace
    Books of Love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I'm so excited for Sinner...just started it but it's already off to a good start. :) Yeah, yeah...I have enough e-galleys but you don't see that stopping me. :P

      Delete
  4. If you're guilty, I'm right there with ya! :-P I hope you enjoy your new books!! I just read and reviewed To All the Boys I've Loved Before. It was pretty cute. Catch a Falling Star was pretty cute as well, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I had hoped. I plan to read Broken Hearts very soon. Stay cool!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not expecting either of those to be favorites, per se, but they should be really great summer reads, I think. Same for Broken Hearts, though I hear it's not like her other stuff at all.

      Delete
  5. Whoa. Whoa. Whoa. Katie Finn is Morgan Matson?! WHA-WHUT? I think i need to read my copy, stat!

    have a great week, Jen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. I only just discovered this myself, which is why I pushed it up the pile. I've heard it's different, but so far I like it.

      Delete
  6. Wow, is this a great haul :) I'm jealous of you people living in English-speaking countries - you get all the books in the libraries as well! I mostly have to buy mine ... Not that this stops me from getting too many ;)
    Here's my Stack for this week: http://ofdragonsandhearts.com/2014/06/stacking-shelves-7-weekly-recap/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I buy a lot of mine, too, but I recently discovered that I can borrow books from all over my state electronically now that I have library card from one of the capital's libraries, so that helps a lot. And I don't think anything would stop a true reader from getting too many books...if such a thing were to really exist. ;0)

      Delete
  7. Great haul, Jen! Sinner is a really great book, and I am looking forward to reading The Fall. It sounds so good. I hope you enjoy everything you got!

    Here is my post: http://justin941bookblog.blogspot.com/2014/06/stacking-shelves-7.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to see so many positive reactions to Sinner! And I'm pretty excited about The Fall, too. I loved her other Poe-inspired series.

      Delete
  8. I just finished Sinner and I'm looking forward to Boomerang.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boomerang was all kinds of adorable. And Sinner is shaping up to be a great read, too. Have a great week!

      Delete
  9. Good job, momma! Kindness is one of the qualities that makes me feel most proud in my son as well. I hope he never loses it!

    And a re-read/listen to all things Throne of Glass sounds lovely. I also live in fear of spoilers with Heir of Fire. Here's hoping we both make it through the next book spoiler-free. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks. It's really important to instill those types of beliefs in a child at an early age, but even so, I don't know how I got so lucky. She's just such a sweet girl. :)

      I've kind of been avoiding the internets because I'm afraid of HoF spoilers. Even emotional reactions worry me. I don't want to expect anything when it comes to this book/series! Here's hoping we make it spoiler-free, too!

      Delete
  10. I'm midway through the Assassin's Blade and then will start Heir of Fire! I'm so excited to read it and yes, I'm hoping to dive in before I see any more spoilers (because I have seen a few). Will you be participating in the re-read for The Bone Season? I have to check my schedule. Hopefully I can fit it in because I loved it oh, so much. Great haul Jen!

    Aw, I love hearing about your kiddo :-) Mine will be starting pre-k this August. This will be our his first experience so I'm fairly nervous. I hope he interacts with everyone as well as Katie does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why do people feel it necessary to spoil things for everyone else? I mean, I know there are some people who LIKE being spoiled -- which is almost beyond belief to me -- but the rest of us don't. I'll be picking up HoF in the next few days. SO EXCITE.

      I WANT to do the re-read for The Bone Season because I absolutely loved the book, but I don't know if I'll be able to fit it in either. Maybe if I listen on audio...

      I'm sure your little guy will do great. You're already such a charming and generous person that he can't help but be the same. :)

      Delete
  11. Your daughter is adorable!
    I passed on Salt & Storm but everyone is gushing about it and now I kind of want it. Adiobooks, yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! I saw word of S&S before BEA and I was already stalking it, lol. And yay, audiobooks!!!

      Delete
  12. Can't wait to see what you think about Wild! I have it for review as well, and hopefully I'll be starting it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm liking it pretty well. I should finish tonight...

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...