Wednesday, May 8, 2013



"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.

This week's WoW selection's are...




Add to Goodreads
Title: Unhinged
Author: A.G. Howard
Series: Splintered, book #2
Publisher: Amulet
Publication Date: January 2014

Alyssa Gardner has been down the rabbit hole and faced the bandersnatch. She saved the life of Jeb, the guy she loves, and escaped the machinations of the disturbingly seductive Morpheus and the vindictive Queen Red. Now all she has to do is graduate high school and make it through prom so she can attend the prestigious art school in London she's always dreamed of.

That would be easier without her mother, freshly released from an asylum, acting overly protective and suspicious. And it would be much simpler if the mysterious Morpheus didn’t show up for school one day to tempt her with another dangerous quest in the dark, challenging Wonderland—where she (partly) belongs.

As prom and graduation creep closer, Alyssa juggles Morpheus’s unsettling presence in her real world with trying to tell Jeb the truth about a past he’s forgotten. Glimpses of Wonderland start to bleed through her art and into her world in very disturbing ways, and Morpheus warns that Queen Red won’t be far behind.

If Alyssa stays in the human realm, she could endanger Jeb, her parents, and everyone she loves. But if she steps through the rabbit hole again, she'll face a deadly battle that could cost more than just her head.

I was slow to discover the awesome that was Splintered earlier this year, partly because I judged the book by its cover.  It's not that I hated it...it just didn't sit right with me as the cover for an Alice retelling.  But I gave the audio a try after seeing many, many great reviews for the book, and I fell in love with the characters, the story, and eventually, even the cover.  I know now that the covers for these books are very indicative of the magic and beauty contained in the pages, and I find that I kind of love them now.  And I'm so glad there wasn't a cover redesign for them!


Splintered (Splintered, #1)Unhinged (Splintered, #2)






Add to Goodreads
Title: How To Love
Author: Katie Cotugno
Series: n/a
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Publication Date: October 1, 2013

Before: Reena Montero has loved Sawyer LeGrande for as long as she can remember: as natural as breathing, as endless as time. But he’s never seemed to notice that Reena even exists…until one day, impossibly, he does. Reena and Sawyer fall in messy, complicated love. But then Sawyer disappears from their humid Florida town without a word, leaving a devastated—and pregnant—Reena behind.

After: Almost three years have passed, and there’s a new love in Reena’s life: her daughter, Hannah. Reena’s gotten used to being without Sawyer, and she’s finally getting the hang of this strange, unexpected life. But just as swiftly and suddenly as he disappeared, Sawyer turns up again. Reena doesn’t want anything to do with him, though she’d be lying if she said Sawyer’s being back wasn’t stirring something in her. After everything that’s happened, can Reena really let herself love Sawyer LeGrande again?

In this breathtaking debut, Katie Cotugno weaves together the story of one couple falling in love—twice.




I love that simple cover.  And I kind of adore complicated love stories with a heaping dose of reality.  And I want to know where Sawyer ran off to and why he's decided to come back into Reena's life.







What are you waiting on this week?  Feel free to share it in the comments or leave a link so we can stop by!

25 comments:

  1. I still need to read Splintered. I'm not usually a fan of retellings but after so many great reviews I got to give it a try. The covers are kind of neat. Weird but pretty in a weird way LOL
    My WOW

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adored Splintered and am so happy about this heads up about a sequel! Yay! Thanks! Also nice to know it was done as an audiobook, will have to look it up to reread with my ears before the publication of Unhinged.

    brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still need to read Splintered. I meant to when it came out but never managed to get around to it. I really should get on that.

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am currently reading Splintered. Great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to read Splintered. I've had it on my TBR for a while, and since the notice of Unhinged and the CRAZY BEAUTIFUL cover (again) I think I need to up this on my list!
    <3!
    Beth | The Reading Vixens
    Vixen's WoW

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great picks! I'm really excited about How to Love. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read Splintered yet and I don't know when I'll be able to but Unhinged sounds interesting.
    I'm definitely adding How to Love on my to-read list now because I love the sound of it. Thanks for sharing these great pick! I hope you enjoy reading them!
    Come check out my WOW post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh GREAT pick. I'm also eagerly waiting for this one. I loved Splintered and that cover for Unhinged is just perfect. So excited. I have an interview coming up with AG Howard in June :-)

    My WOW post
    http://www.myfriendsarefiction.com/waiting-on-wednesday-3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hm. Both not exactly my kind of thing, but I hope you two will enjoy them! thanks for sharing My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really need to get to Splintered soon! I've heard great things about it and I love Alice in Wonderland. Thanks so much for sharing!:)
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't wait to read How to Love! I think I added it to my TBR last week from a WOW post, actually. I have not read Splintered but I have heard great things about it. I thought I liked retellings but I'm starting to wonder if they aren't for me. Maybe I'm reading the wrongs ones though. Great picks! :)

    My W.O.W.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cool picks. The covers in the splintered series are pretty interesting.

    follower

    http://itchingforbooks.blogspot.com/2013/05/waiting-on-wednesday-46-beautiful-dark.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL -- clearly we do not agree on covers. I loved the Splintered one, but the new one is a little weird to me. And I don't love the cover of my WoW -- I think it's too pretty for the story and looks a little like women's fiction rather than YA!

    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really neat to see two such different covers for your WoW selections this week. Kind of two extremes. Hadn't heard of Splintered but now I'm quite intrigued. Funny, I find that cover very eye-catching but it's not the kind of cover I usually see on books I like. Now I'll give it a try. My WoW: http://www.swardkehoe.blogspot.com/2013/05/waiting-on-wednesday-tarnish-by.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm excited for both of these. I really enjoyed Splintered and am looking forward to returning to that world. And How to Love looks like a great contemp. Great picks!
    Natflix&Books' WoW

    ReplyDelete
  16. Unhinged has a freaking gorgeous cover! It looks so good next to Splintered. I'm so excited! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. I still need to read Splintered, but I love the cover for the second book! I didn't read the description in case there was a spoiler too.
    How to Love also sounds like it would be a great read too, I'll have to keep an eye on all of these books!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ohmigosh that looks sooo good(:
    Check out my WOW: http://www.nobentspines.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Second WOW I've seen on this! This is my most anticipated book of this year for sure! I cannot wait! And definitely my #1 cover choice of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, HOW TO LOVE sounds like it could be great! I'm really looking forward to that one. I had more mixed feelings about Splintered, but I liked it overall and am curious about this sequel, too. Nice picks!

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
  21. Unhinged. Yes yes yes yes!! :D I was soooo happy there'd be a sequel, and Morpheus is in it! God I can't wait... this is one of those books I would do terrible things to get an ARC of ^^'
    Awesome pick Jen! Thanks for stopping by on Wednesday and sorry I'm only getting back to you now, I was moving all my stuff back to my parents' house *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  22. I was opposite of you for Splintered - I loved the cover and couldn't wait to read it. I thought it fit the world through the rabbit hole so well. :) I'm glad you ended up trying it and liking it. I hadn't see the cover for Unhinged yet. Very interesting. It's added to my tbr now. :)

    Tressa @ Tressa's Wishful Endings

    ReplyDelete
  23. I still need to read Splintered, but I am loving the cover of the Unhinged.

    Here is my WoW:
    http://kassiesthoughts30.blogspot.com/2013/05/waiting-on-wednesday-2-undescribable-by.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...