Monday, December 17, 2012

Movie Monday #4: Beautiful Creatures

Monday, December 17, 2012 with 6 comments

We all delight in seeing our favorite books brought to life on the big screen.  We cringe at casting.  We scoff at release dates.  All the while, we're gearing up to see if the director's vision lives up to the world we've conceived in our own imaginations.  Sometimes it does...and sometimes it doesn't.  We could lament the movies that don't measure up, or we could return to the books for a re-read, possibly with a slightly different mind-set.  All's fair when it comes to artistic vision, right?




This week, I'd like to feature:

View on IMdB.com
Title: Beautiful Creatures
Director: Richard LaGravenese
Stars: Alden Ehrenreich, Alice Englert, Emmy Rossum
Release date: February 13, 2013
Based on: Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl

Ethan longs to escape his small Southern town. He meets a mysterious new girl, Lena. Together, they uncover dark secrets about their respective families, their history and their town.











So, this past week, I tried to listen to the audiobook for Beautiful Creatures, but I only got about 25% in before I put it aside for another day.  I've heard such great things about this series and it should be perfect for me, considering the material, but I found it rather boring.  I mean, plenty of stuff has already happened in the quarter of the book that I've already listened to, but I think the story is possibly too bogged down in details to hold my attention for any length of time.  I found myself easily distracted while listening to the story, and this is coming from the girl who'll invent chores to continue listening to a good audiobook.  This less-than-stellar beginning does not bode well for the rest of the book...or the series.

That said, I am still very interested in seeing the movie when it's released in February.  It looks to be promising, focusing on the magical aspects that normally draw me to this type of story in the first place. Also, it looks pretty.  =D





So, do you think I've given up on the series a little prematurely?  Should I give it another chance before I *gasp* see the movie without reading the book?  Are you planning on seeing Beautiful Creatures when it releases early next year?

6 comments:

  1. It took me 4 weeks to read it. I liked it, but it was slow. And it was this time of year too so that didn't help my cause. I think that is the only reason I haven't read the rest yet, though I do own 2 and 3 already. Maybe after you see the movie? I'm hoping it will get me back into the world to continue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping that, too...that seeing the movie will increase my interest in finishing the book.

      Delete
  2. I've only read the first two books so far (they're my sister's and she hasn't bought number 3 yet). I really liked the first, but the second one was more difficult for me. I liked it in the end but I felt that it dragged in the middle.
    The main problem I can see coming for me with the movie is that none of the actors even remotedly resemble the people I see in my head. Ethan and Lena look way too old to me, for one. I'm probably still going to watch it though... if it's actually shown in my country, that is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think because I saw the previews before I started listening to the audio, I can see those actors as the characters. I don't think I'll have any problems with the movie...it looks gorgeous and intense. The book, alas, doesn't hold the same lure for me.

      Delete
  3. I enjoy this series it has a lot of mystery and I love Ethan and Link but Lena is a pain in the ass... she is even worse in the second book,that being said. I do love this series and I am trying to read the last book in between books and it isn't working, I will do it Christmas break. Be patient Michele and I both love this series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, Heidi. I don't know how I'll slug through an entire series if I can't even get past the first quarter of the first book. I was listening to the audio, and I liked the narrator, but the story wasn't holding my interest. When does the good stuff happen? :P

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...