Monday, November 26, 2012

Movie Monday #2: The Host

Monday, November 26, 2012 with 2 comments

We all delight in seeing our favorite books brought to life on the big screen.  We cringe at casting.  We scoff at release dates.  All the while, we're gearing up to see if the director's vision lives up to the world we've conceived in our own imaginations.  Sometimes it does...and sometimes it doesn't.  We could lament the movies that don't measure up, or we could return to the books for a re-read, possibly with a slightly different mind-set.  All's fair when it comes to artistic vision, right?




This week, I'd like to feature:

View on IMDb
Title:  The Host
Director:  Andrew Niccol
Stars:  Saoirse Ronan, Max Irons, Jake Abel & Diane Kruger
Release date:  March 29, 2013
Based on:  The Host by Stephenie Meyer

A parasitic alien soul is injected into the body of Melanie Stryder. Instead of carrying out her race's mission of taking over the Earth, "Wanda" (as she comes to be called) forms a bond with her host and sets out to aid other free humans.










I'll admit that it took a lot of coercing to get me to read The Host after not enjoying the previous Stephenie Meyer book I'd read.  But once I got past the first couple of chapters, I was hooked.  I really enjoy a good science fiction piece but especially when it features aliens.  I can't wait to see what they do with this novel on film.  And for a change, I'm actually pretty excited about the casting.  Did you see Hanna?  Saoirse Ronan was phenomenal in that movie, and I just know she won't disappoint as Melanie/Wanda.  Max Irons is perfect for the hot, distrusting Jared.  And though I usually see Jake Abel cast as a sort of anti-hero in most movies, I think he'll make a great Ian...especially since he starts out none-too-friendly towards Wanda.

And now I'm wondering when Stephenie Meyer will crank out the next book in what has since been picked up as a series.  When I read The Host, I fully expected it to be a stand-alone, but you won't hear me complaining.  I just hope she ends this series on a better note than she did The Twilight Saga...that Breaking Dawn left a sour taste in my mouth.  It started out fine, but...Renesmee?  Really?  I still have to watch the final installment and see how they handled that aspect.  So, if you've seen it, don't ruin the ending for me.  LOL.  Just kidding.  =)  I would like to know what you thought of it, though.



2 comments:

  1. I loved The Host! I know so many people who loved Twilight, but won't give it a chance. I loved the Twilight series, but believe The Host was more well done. I can't wait to see this movie. If the trailer is any indication, it will be brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree completely...The Host was better than the entire Twilight series put together. :) It took me awhile to make myself read it, but I'm glad I did.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...