Monday, November 19, 2012


We all delight in seeing our favorite books brought to life on the big screen.  We cringe at casting.  We scoff at release dates.  All the while, we're gearing up to see if the director's vision lives up to the world we've conceived in our own imaginations.  Sometimes it does...and sometimes it doesn't.  We could lament the movies that don't measure up, or we could return to the books for a re-read, possibly with a slightly different mind-set.  All's fair when it comes to artistic vision, right?



This week, I'd like to feature:

View on IMDB.com
Title:  Oz:  The Great and Powerful
Director:  Sam Raimi
Stars:  James Franco, Mila Kunis, Rachel Weisz, Michelle Williams
Release date:  March 8, 2013
Based on:  The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum

Oscar Diggs (James Franco), a small-time circus magician with dubious ethics, is hurled away from dusty Kansas to the vibrant Land of Oz. At first he thinks he's hit the jackpot-fame and fortune are his for the taking. That all changes, however, when he meets three witches, Theodora (Mila Kunis), Evanora (Rachel Weisz), and Glinda (Michelle Williams), who are not convinced he is the great wizard everyone's been expecting. Reluctantly drawn into the epic problems facing the Land of Oz and its inhabitants, Oscar must find out who is good and who is evil before it is too late. Putting his magical arts to use through illusion, ingenuity-and even a bit of wizardry-Oscar transforms himself not only into the great and powerful Wizard of Oz but into a better man as well.


Um, I've never actually read the story or the prequel, which this movie is apparently based off of, but I'm sure I would love it if I ever had the time to sit down with it.  I should make time, right?  Regardless, I have always loved the original movie featuring Judy Garland and even the not-so-popular sequel The Return to Oz, so I'm positive I'll love this movie just as much, if not more.  That movie poster is phenomenal and the trailer (below) is just as awesome.  What do you think?  Are you thrown off by the casting choices or do you think Sam Raimi and cast will do this movie justice?



12 comments:

  1. I just watched the original last night. I liked Return to Oz I always thought it captured the essence of the original but definitely was on the darker side of things. Plus the Monkey's rocked!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, too! My lil one loves the original movie, but the sequel creeps her out. :P It did me as a kid, too, though. I liked the Wheelers. Except I remember having nightmares about them as a kid. I'm super excited to see this new version. I'm really surprised Tim Burton and Johnny Depp haven't put their spin on this story yet. :P

      Delete
  2. I loooooved Return to Oz! DOROTHY GAAAAAAAYLE. So creepy.

    I like the casting for the new film, but I'm kind of getting tired of the "Tim Burton" look, to be honest. Since he's only producing it instead of directing it, I wish they'd gone in a different direction with the special effects. I'll still be seeing it, though!

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, that makes more sense...cause I remember there being talk that there would be a Tim Burton version, but then this one showed up. I didn't realize he was the producer.

      Delete
  3. i can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you know i've been the biggest wizard of oz fan since way back when! you have to go with me to see this! i love my wizard of oz pez dispensers that kat got me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never read the original Wizard of Oz either but I am totally looking foward to this movie. It looks awesome. Let's' hope it pans out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! I'm sure it will be beautiful to behold. :)

      Delete
  5. Hmm, the trailer looks pretty good. And James Branco - *swoon* ;) I never found an opportunity to read the Wizard of Oz book, but the movie starring the dazzling Judy Garland I absolutely ADORED! Thank you so much for sharing, Jen. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the original, too, Leanne. And now my 4yo daughter loves it, too. Can't wait to see this new version with her!

      Delete
  6. This looks soooo fun! Can't wait to see the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...