Thursday, November 29, 2012

Covers By Katie
Okay, so I totally stole this idea from Sara at Forever 17 Books, who got the idea from an article on Babble called Judging a Book by Its Cover: A 6-year-old Guesses What Classic Novels Are All About.  I just discovered her lovely segment, and I immediately requested forced my own four-year-old daughter Katie to provide me with some of her own cover art artwork and then asked her what she thought the book was about.



Okay...so, I wasn't going to use this particular cover art from Katie because it's kind of a work in progress, which translates to:  she lost interest when I left the room for a minute and never returned to finish it.  But, it made me laugh pretty hard when I really looked at it, and there's kind of a funny story to it, so I thought, What the hell?

So, earlier this week, Katie caught me in my office and asked if she could draw me another cover.  I tell her sure and ask her to pick a book from my shelf if she doesn't want to draw the one I'm currently reading -- she didn't and I don't blame her...that one's too pretty to mess with.  Here's what she picked:

Add to Goodreads



The funny story about this one is, I don't even have to ask her what she thinks this novel is about.  When she saw the ARC sitting on my desk earlier this year, she asked me, "Mommy, is this book about vampires?"  Yeah.  The kid also likes to watch The Vampire Diaries with me, even though I've told her time and again she's not old enough, though maybe she is because she's constantly informing me who's good, who's bad, and who's in love.  =)  Oh!  She did say this about the cover, though, as she was drawing her interpretation:  "I like the blood coming from her eye."  Erm, ooookay.





Cover Art:

The Immortal Rules by Katie


Or, as Katie titled it:  IMMORTAL KATIE.  How funny is that?  After I noticed that, I envisioned her saying it in an evil voice, followed by deep, raucous laughter.  Maybe we're both a little deranged.  :-P  She asked me what the black around the girl's eye was, and I told her probably make-up, which she then proceeded to make very prevalent in her rendition, and she also made sure to draw a red line to represent the blood she seems to have taking a liking to.

What do you think?  Funny or just plain creepy?

7 comments:

  1. Love it! Shawn did this one early on. I'll have to go back and check what he said it was about because I forgot but it is so funny how on the mark they can be sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your daughter is hilarious! And apparently has a macabre streak. Love that. I have one child who LOVES scary/creepy and the other who is completely squeamish. Makes family viewing a bit of a problem!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm a little scared of her now. :/ she already does those mean faces from The Ring at me and growls. aunt mendy is going to be super nice to her next time i see her. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always loved vampires and the creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm new to your blog and I love this little feature on your blog! It's so cute. Haha!

    Leanne Yang
    Escaping With Books

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...