Wednesday, February 6, 2013



"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.

This week's WoW selection is...




Add to Goodreads
Title: Love in the Time of Global Warming
Author: Francesca Lia Block
Series: n/a
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)
Publication Date: August 27, 2013

Seventeen-year-old Penelope (Pen) has lost everything—her home, her parents, and her ten-year-old brother. Like a female Odysseus in search of home, she navigates a dark world full of strange creatures, gathers companions and loses them, finds love and loses it, and faces her mortal enemy.

In her signature style, Francesca Lia Block has created a world that is beautiful in its destruction and as frightening as it is lovely. At the helm is Pen, a strong heroine who holds hope and love in her hands and refuses to be defeated.


Why I'm waiting:  I. LOVE. THIS. COVER.  I try my best not to judge a book by its cover, but gawd, is that thing not stunning?!?  Also, "like a female Odysseus"?  Really?  I love Homer's The Odyssey.  Love it.  Is that weird?  I feel like it's weird to admit that.  Oh, well...can't take it back now, right?  Anyway, this book  is also giving me a Burn Bright vibe, and since I haven't been able to convince myself to buy the rest of that series yet since it's not offered here in the states, this sounds like a great substitute.

Eh, maybe not a substitute, but definitely something to hold me over for a bit.  I hope it's as good as it sounds.  I haven't read anything else from this author, but her Weetzie Bat series is pretty popular.  Any of you read that?

What are you waiting on this week?  Feel free to share it in the comments or leave a link so I can stop by!

14 comments:

  1. Awesome cover! I love The Odyssey too. Thanks for sharing, Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read any of her work, or The Odyssey for that matter, but that is definitely a gorgeous cover. This is definitely going to be a book I consider reading. Thanks for showcasing it.

    Bec @ Ransom Reads

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm... this is not something I would normally read, but I do have to admit that cover is BEAUTIFUL!! And it does sound pretty interesting. Maybe I should venture out of my comfort zone for a bit and give this one a try? Thanks for sharing, Jen! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never read any of this author's books, and I should.
    I love the Odyssey too! It's such a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds really good. I love the cover for it too, it is so pretty and eye-catching. Great pick!

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just got this one recently! The cover really is beautiful, and it's slightly textured as well. :) Nice pick!

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the cover. It is gorgeous. Great pick! I'll have to check it out when it comes out.
    Em @ A Beautiful Madness
    My WOW

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree about this cover! It's so unique. There are no other covers like this in YA. It definitely makes this book stand out! The summary sounds cool too. :)

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's nothing weird with admitting you loved The Odyssey! This sounds cool. Nice pick.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have eyed this one several times.
    Hope you get to read it soon!
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hm that is an interesting cover! It doesnt really sound like my kinda book though. But, I always love books that don't sound like my type. Thanks for sharing :)


    Jasmine

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so with you about the cover! Unfortunately, the title and description never really won me over :/ I'm waiting for some more reviews before I decide whether it goes on my TBR...
    Thanks for stopping by earlier :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I picked this ARC at ALA, it's tiny. I need to try to fit it in.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...