Thursday, August 8, 2013

SYNC Summer 2013: Week 11 #syncya

Thursday, August 8, 2013 with 3 comments

SYNC recently announced the list of audiobook pairings up for grabs this summer, and the program has officially kicked off.  Last week's offerings were Death Cloud and The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. And here's what you can grab through Wednesday of next week...for free!

Add to Goodreads

This week's YA title is Enchanted by Alethea Kontis, performed by Katherine Kellgren for Brilliance Audio.

It isn't easy being the rather overlooked and unhappy youngest sibling to sisters named for the other six days of the week. Sunday’s only comfort is writing stories, although what she writes has a terrible tendency to come true.

When Sunday meets an enchanted frog who asks about her stories, the two become friends. Soon that friendship deepens into something magical. One night Sunday kisses her frog goodbye and leaves, not realizing that her love has transformed him back into Rumbold, the crown prince of Arilland—and a man Sunday’s family despises.

The prince returns to his castle, intent on making Sunday fall in love with him as the man he is, not the frog he was. But Sunday is not so easy to woo. How can she feel such a strange, strong attraction for this prince she barely knows? And what twisted secrets lie hidden in his past - and hers?






Add to Goodreads

This week's classic title is Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll, performed by Miriam Margolyes for Bolinda Audio.

In 1865, English author CHARLES LUTWIDGE DODGSON (1832-1898), aka Lewis Carroll, wrote a fantastical adventure story for the young daughters of a friend. The adventures of Alice-named for one of the little girls to whom the book was dedicated-who journeys down a rabbit hole and into a whimsical underworld realm instantly struck a chord with the British public, and then with readers around the world. In 1872, in reaction to the universal acclaim *Alice's Adventures in Wonderland* received, Dodgson published this sequel. Nothing is quite what it seems once Alice journeys through the looking-glass, and Dodgson's wit is infectious as he explores concepts of mirror imagery, time running backward, and strategies of chess-all wrapped up in the exploits of a spirited young girl who parries with the Red Queen, Tweedledee and Tweedledum, and other unlikely characters. In many ways, this sequel has had an even greater impact on today's pop culture than the first book.







I've read Enchanted, and I thought it was really cute.  But Katherine Kellgren is one of my favorite audiobook narrators EVAR, so I'll definitely be listening to that one.  I'm ashamed to admit that I've never read Through the Looking Glass, though I know the story of Alice well.  My older sister is the biggest Alice fan you'll ever meet, and I've seen nearly every possible adaptation.  I've also supported her obsession with many Alice-themed gifts over the years.  Guess it's high time I actually read, ehrm, listen, to the story for myself.  :D

Will you be checking out either of these titles?  Remember, they're only available through Wednesday, and new titles will be put up on Thursday for download.  Other things to note:

To download this week's titles, just click on the image below to be taken directly to the SYNC download page:



I hope you take advantage of this program. I've been doing it for the last couple of years, and I've had the chance to listen to a ton of great audio for free.  If you've never tried audiobooks before, it's a great opportunity to do so without the obligation of buying one that you might not enjoy.  And if you love audiobooks, well, it's a great time to stock up on some titles you may have missed.  Win/win.  =)


3 comments:

  1. Yay I've been waiting for this week. I need to go download.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I WAS JUST THINKING ABOUT THIS THE OTHER DAY. I was like, hmm... what are the next audiobooks? Will Jen post about them or should I go take a look for myself?

    I haven't read Enchanted, but yay that you thought it was cute and that it has a good narrator! I'm seriously impressed by how you know all these narrators o.O. I too have never read Through the Looking Glass, and it seems like everyone knows of Alice with all the various adaptations, as you said. Lol, maybe soon your sister will have to support your Alice obsession :D. Woot, hope you enjoy both!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. JEN this is seriously the coolest! I feel sad that I just realized this was happening for 11 weeks. But, now that I know, I'm definitely on board.

    Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...