Monday, August 26, 2013

Movie Monday #14: The Book Thief

Monday, August 26, 2013 with 9 comments

We all delight in seeing our favorite books brought to life on the big screen.  We cringe at casting.  We scoff at release dates.  All the while, we're gearing up to see if the director's vision lives up to the world we've conceived in our own imaginations.  Sometimes it does...and sometimes it doesn't.  We could lament the movies that don't measure up, or we could return to the books for a re-read, possibly with a slightly different mind-set.  All's fair when it comes to artistic vision, right?




This week, I'm featuring the following adaptation:

View on IMDb
Title: The Book Thief
Director: Brian Percival
Stars: Sophie Nélisse, Geoffrey Rush, Emily Watson
Release date: November 15, 2013
Based on: The Book Thief by Mark Zusak

While subjected to the horrors of WWII Germany, young Liesel finds solace by stealing books and sharing them with others. Under the stairs in her home, a Jewish refuge is being sheltered by her adoptive parents.
-----------------------------------
The 550-page, World War II-era novel, narrated by Death, tells the story of Liesel Meminger from the time she is taken at age 9 to live with a foster family in a German working-class neighborhood. Liesel arrives having just stolen her first book, "The Gravediggers Handbook" -- it will be the beginning of a love affair with books.



So, I didn't actually realize this movie was already a thing until I saw the trailer pop up in my inbox:




Honestly, I thought it was slated for next year for some reason, which meant I had plenty of time to read the book before the movie's release.  (Yes, I know I am probably one of the last people on Earth who hasn't read this book yet. *hangs head in shame*)  And how did I not know the book was narrated by Death?  I think I probably would have read it a lot sooner if I'd known that.  I have a strange fascination with death personified.

Not having read the book yet, I'd still like to offer up my opinion on the trailer:  it looks beautiful.  And I mean that in the way that a lot of stories set in this time period are beautiful and tragic and hopeful. However, now that I know the book is told from Death's perspective, how is that going to be executed in the movie? Or is it?  I saw nothing that made me think it would be narrated by Death.

I'll be honest, I'll probably wait until this is released on DVD/OnDemand.  It just looks and sounds like the sort of story that might make me a sniffling, snotty mess, and I hate doing that in the theater.  I much prefer emotional stories from the comfort of my own couch, with a box of tissues in hand.  Plus, that'll give me more time to read the book.  ;0)

Have you read the book?  What do you think about it being made into a film?  Do you think you'll see it? Will this adaptation do the book justice?

9 comments:

  1. I love the book, it's a literary masterpiece and I'm not sure how it's actually going to be reflected in the film. I'm not sure about the trailer, doesn't look like there's any presence of death there. Read the book...it's fantastic!

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word, I LOVE this book. It was so incredibly hopeful and sad and beautiful and horrifying. I definitely recommend reading it. As for the movie, heck yes I'm going to see it! I didn't realize it was coming so soon! November is certainly going to be a month of highly anticipated movies for me... let's hope they measure up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not excited by many book to film adaptations, but I do think the trailer is great! None of us have read the book either, so we're actually hosting a Book Thief readalong in October. :)

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book is one of my all time favorites, so of course I'm scared for the movie. BUT, the trailer looks very promising. I love casting of Geoffrey Rush for Liesl's father. He kinda looks like the picture in my head.

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also picked this as my Movie Monday today, haha. But yes, it looks really good! I can't wait for it. (And I haven't read the book either...you're not alone)
    Rachel @ the NerdHerd Reads

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your not the last person to read it, I haven't yet either!!! I also didn't realize how soon it was coming out until BAM, the trailer was everywhere. It looks absolutely amazing and I can't wait to see it =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought that it didn't come out until quite later as well. Since I saw the trailer, I'm definitely going to try to read it soon. The movie looks so good! Thanks for sharing. :b

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this book!!!!! My husband really loved it as well! I am also curious how or if they are going to portray Death. I know the movie is likely to make me ball like a baby, but I really want to see it in the theater.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Im undecided on whether I want to read the book first. It looks good, but there is something about it that just doesn't scream "read me!" but then again, that's how I felt about hunger games, and thats one of my favs of all time. lol

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...