Monday, August 19, 2013


We all delight in seeing our favorite books brought to life on the big screen.  We cringe at casting.  We scoff at release dates.  All the while, we're gearing up to see if the director's vision lives up to the world we've conceived in our own imaginations.  Sometimes it does...and sometimes it doesn't.  We could lament the movies that don't measure up, or we could return to the books for a re-read, possibly with a slightly different mind-set.  All's fair when it comes to artistic vision, right?




This week, I'm featuring the following adaptation:

View on IMDb
Title: Vampire Academy:  Blood Sisters
Director: Mark Waters
Stars: Zoey Deutch, Lucy Fry, Danila Kozlovsky
Release date: February 14, 2014
Based on: Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead

Rose Hathaway is a Dhampir, half human/vampire, guardians of the Moroi, peaceful, mortal vampires living discretely within our world. Her legacy is to protect the Moroi from bloodthirsty, immortal Vampires, the Strigoi. This is her story.
-----------------------------------
Rose Hathaway is a dhampir, half-vampire and half-human, who is training to be a guardian at St. Vladimir's Academy along with many others like her. There are good and bad vampires in their world: Moroi, who co-exist peacefully among the humans and only take blood from donors, and also possess the ability to control one of the four elements - water, earth, fire or air; and Strigoi, blood-sucking, evil vampires who drink to kill. Rose and other dhampir guardians are trained to protect Moroi and kill Strigoi throughout their education. Along with her best friend, Princess Vasilisa Dragomir, a Moroi and the last of her line, with whom she has a nigh unbreakable bond, Rose must run away from St. Vladimir's, in order to protect Lissa from those who wish to harm the princess and use her for their own means.


First things first, here's the teaser trailer that was just released:




I don't know about you, but I am pretty effing stoked for this movie.  I am totally on board with the casting. I love that the cast is full of virtually unknown actors...I think it makes it a ton easier to envision them as the characters from the books.  And boy is it easy to envision Danila Kozlovsky as Dimitri!  =)

 photo VA6_zps1d6d833c.gif
Look, he's wearing the duster!!!

I came to the VA series after all the books were released, and I listened to them back-to-back on a road trip.  It was awesome.  But even more awesome than that was finding out that the first book was being made into a movie.  I admit, I was skeptical at first, but I see some serious potential in the movie, especially after this teaser trailer.  Twilight hypocrites and naysayers, back the eff off!  This is NOT that kind of vampire story.

 photo VA11_zpsdb3c26f0.gif

See that humor there?  The friendship?  Those things set this book apart from that other vampire novel. Another good thing this adaptation has going for it is the writer/director team of Daniel Waters (of Heathers fame) and Mark Waters (of Mean Girls fame).  Some of the quotes already up on the IMDb page are more proof -- at least to me -- that this film is going to excel where others have failed. 

I hate that we have to wait until Valentine's Day for the release, but that's just clever marketing. I will definitely be dragging my honey to see it with me.  In the meantime, I'll be doing a series re-listen, I think.  :D

 photo mybodyisready_zpsec4f6e8b.gif





Have you read the book?  What do you think about it being made into a film?  Do you think you'll see it?

9 comments:

  1. I love the books, my favourite YA vampire series and was excited to hear about the movie. I'm disappointed about the trailer though, the casting for rose and lissa was not what I had in mind! Hopefully the movie won't look as cheesy as the trailer.

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the books--but I have seen a lot of people saying that the trailer looks very CW-ish, and I have to agree. It seems like all the latest YA books-to-film adaptations lately: Beautiful Creatures, The Mortal Instruments, have that CW/ ABC Family vibe to them and I'm not sure that's always a good thing.

    But the fact that Daniel Waters is a co-writer (HEATHERS- fave 80s movie, EVAH!) makes me happy. Just two things in regards to the clip: Lissa's mouth is HUGE, like WHOA, and yes, Dimitri in his duster MAKES this trailer :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love when more unknown actors are cast. I have not read the books yet but I vowed to start them after I get through the Sept/Oct craziness. Then I can be all flaily too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read the books, but I've heard great things. The trailer definitely makes me excited to see the movie. And I love your use of GIFs! I agree that casting unknowns is usually a good choice for beloved books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm stoked for this movie too. I like that the cast is unknown, though I may disagree with you on how well they fit the roles. The girl for Rose looks too delicate to me, and the actor for Dimitri? I always pictured him to be a bit more rugged. But I'm not going to protest much - I bet they'll convince me of their acting when I see the movie :).

    I actually think the trailer shows how differently they're treating the book in comparison to Twilight. There's a lot more humor, and I bet even with the different tone, it'll still get compared to Twilight. I didn't know there were quotes already up on IMDB though!

    As for whether I'll see the movie... it depends o.O. I wanted to see Mortal Instruments, but it's not showing anywhere near me, which is super surprising. TMI is way more teen-oriented than Percy Jackson, and I found a showing for PJ.... I'm hoping they'll both open near me soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Filmefilme Online Hd, Vizioneaza filme online subtitrate gratis traduse in limba romana la calitate HD, filme hd online

    ReplyDelete
  7. te-ai saturat sa cauti filme online , iar cand le gasesti si intri sa le vezi ai parte de o "ploaie" de reclame (popup-uri) care iti ingreuneaza navigarea de iti vine sa te duci sa il vezi la cinematograf ? Pe htt://moving-images.biz gasesti cele mai noi filme online cu un numar de 1 reclame (popup-uri) per film , nimic mai mult , nu vor exista zeci de reclame .

    ReplyDelete
  8. te-ai saturat sa cauti filme online , iar cand le gasesti si intri sa le vezi ai parte de o "ploaie" de reclame (popup-uri) care iti ingreuneaza navigarea de iti vine sa te duci sa il vezi la cinematograf ? Pe Filme Online gasesti cele mai noi filme online cu un numar de 1 reclame (popup-uri) per film , nimic mai mult , nu vor exista zeci de reclame .

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...