Sunday, October 14, 2012

The Sunday Symposium: For Your Review

Sunday, October 14, 2012 with 13 comments


The Sunday Symposium is a weekly feature in which I'll be discussing various bookish topics and asking for your commentary, as well.  This week's topic is reviews...what you like about them, what you don't, what type really catches your eye...that kind of thing.

I enjoy reading reviews of all types:  short and succinct, a detailed analysis of the setting and plot, and even the one liners like "Oh my gawd, you  must read this NOW!"  They serve to help me decide whether a particular book is something that I need to read very soon so I can jump on the bandwagon and discuss along with everyone else.  They also let me know if I should pass on a book, even though I'd been pretty excited about it prior to reading the review.

I know some people despise long reviews and refuse to read them because they're afraid of spoilers or simply reading yet another summary of the story in the text of the review.  I can understand that.  But I also know others who can't stand the gushing reviews for books that tell you nothing about the story, other than that the reviewer loved it.  But there's got to be a middle-ground that makes everyone happy, right? 

I have several go-to reviewers that I frequent because I know that a) I enjoy their reviews and b) we tend to have similar opinions on books, and they're less likely to steer me wrong than anyone else.  Is it the same for you?  Do you prefer reviews from someone your own age or do you read a wide range of reviews before deciding to read a book?

Do you like the more detailed reviews that point out flaws in the writing, as well as highlight the wonderful world-building or complex cast of characters?  Do you prefer those that hint at something great within the pages of the book without ever really revealing why the reviewer feels that way so that you're left to draw your own conclusions?  Or do you not read reviews at all and hope that the synopsis you read is true to the story?

I'll be honest, I've almost stopped reading summaries entirely.  All too often, there are spoilers included in them, especially in subsequent installments in a series, and I'd be better off reading without them.  And although I do enjoy reading reviews from real teens and love them for taking the time to review the book in the first place, they just don't give me quite what I need to know as an adult reading YA.  Also, sometimes I won't read ANY reviews for a book before I've read it because I'm so afraid of reading something spoilery.  At that point, I'm just reading the review so I can discuss the book with someone else.  :)

So, here I am, just a reviewer, entreating you to share your thoughts on reviews so that I might make mine better and more enjoyable.  Without you guys, there's really no point....so tell me what you want to see in my reviews!  :D


13 comments:

  1. Honestly for me, i kind of agree with you! I like short, but detailed. One thing i HATE are lloooonng reviews. I mean cmon i don't want the summary of the book! Just what you think overall about the character, world building, style of writing, and of course, if you REALLY enjoyed it or not! ;)
    - Farah @ MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with everything you mentioned Farah! Maybe that's why I like your reviews! :)

      Delete
  2. I read reviews for a couple of reason. The first being, I like to see if others enjoy the same books as me and if they have the same thoughts as me on a particular book. I have to admit that I am easily pleased when it comes to books but the ones I really just can't get enough of, I like to know if I am crazy.

    Other reviews I read because I am not sure if I will like a book or not. It's on my iffy list and I hope to get some insight from my regulars, those that like most of what I like.

    There are a few people I read the reviews just because they entertain me. Some people have a real knack with words or storytelling and I enjoy that. (I am so not that persons)

    The books I can't wait to get my hands on, I skim those reviews. I like to know what they though but I don't want spoilers. So I generally know from the ones I visit the most, where they have their bottom line or overall thought and I read that then check out their rating.

    I know I ramble, sorry about that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a little harder to please than I was a couple of years ago, but I still enjoy most everything I read to some extent. And I like to be entertained by reviews, too. It's fine if you're going to break a book down and tell me why it didn't work for you, but let's have a little fun, too...just not at the poor book's expense. And, yeah, I don't read reviews for books I'm really excited about either...I've had too many ruined -- or at least become less exciting -- that way. :(

      Delete
  3. There are some blogs with long reviews I always read, because I like the way they write and I know that they don't spoiler. There are also blogs I follow because they write short reviews and are straight to the point. It just depends on my mood, but there isn't really one kind of review I love. The only thing they must not do is adding spoilers without a warning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That seems to be the consensus...don't spoil our books for us! :)

      Delete
  4. I do have a few go to blogs where I always read the reviews, but most of the time I just go through my reader until I see something, where I want to hear their thoughts on a book. I try to avoid reading reviews before reading a book before because they almost always affect my view on a book, but most of the time I can't resist.

    The main reason I read reviews is because I like to see how others react to the books I enjoy or dislike, and then I just like to talk about books. (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting to that point, too...where I mostly read reviews AFTER I've finished reading a book. Then I'm reading and responding so I have someone to discuss the book with.

      Delete
  5. I don't mind long reviews, but I need them to summarize it. I like to read the summary. If I like what I hear, then I read the whole review. I actually don't like short reviews. I need to feel like the person read the book and I can't get that feeling in only a line or two.

    I don't really like reviews that gush over the main female or male character...saying how "hot" that person is. It's a book. You would think that people wouldn't judge a character based on looks in a book with no pictures. Makes no sense to me.

    I also don't like it when the reviewer is downright mean to the author. I've stopped following a few reviewers because of that. Talk about the book. Only the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All great points. Like I said, I don't like the summaries because I like to be surprised when I get to the book, but I wasn't always that way. It's helped make books less predictable for me, anyway. Also, I'm not reading a review to determine attractiveness of a character either. I just want to know if they're likeable or realistic. Negative reviews are fine to a degree, but I definitely don't like author-bashing. Thanks for shraing your thoughts!

      Delete
  6. Oh and one more thing. If the review has spoilers, WARN ME! I don't like reading spoilers if I haven't read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's kind of sad when you shut off the ideas of teens instead of encouraging them to become bloggers, a form of expressing themselves. I've seen some amazing reviews by a teen on your blog, with insight far beyond most adult blogger reviews. I enjoy various viewpoints, spanning age, culture, gender, etc. because I think one of the greatest gifts that books have to offer is a diverse, open discussion with others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love reading reviews from real teens. I follow several blogs that are manned by the under 20 set. I agree...they have a lot to add to the conversation and can express their opinions more eloquently and in a more articulate fashion than some adults I know. I hope I didn't imply otherwise. :(

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...