Monday, October 22, 2012


This week's read along is for chapters twenty-six through thirty-one and spans pages 341-447 of Sweet Evil.  And to coincide with the events of the book, this week's theme is Halloween.

I have always adored Halloween, but as I got older it kind of became an obsession.  Up until our daughter came into our lives, my husband and I tried to out-do ourselves each year, making our annual Halloween bash bigger and better every year.  But this year, we're passing on the torch and giving our $1000+ bulk of Halloween supplies and decorations to our good friend and letting him start the tradition over.  (I would love to host yet another Halloween party, but our new home is literally ten feet away from a big ole pond and since there will be drinking going on, I'd rather not run the risk of someone stumbling into the water.)

Rather than embarrassing myself by posting pics of previous costumes, I'll just show you pics of my daughter in her Halloween costumes over the years.  :)  (Apparently, I either didn't take any pics last year, or I haven't uploaded them yet -- which is more likely the case because I'm bad about that -- but she was a fairy last year.)


1st Halloween as a ladybug, hence the nickname Katiebug -- dayum, she was a chubbers!  :P


Year 2 as a kitty cat -- look at that cute lil pony!  I can barely remember when her hair was short!


 Daddy & gnomie-Katie

This year, we're going to someone else's Halloween party, like I said, and Katie is going to be a LaLaLoopsy doll, Daddy is going as an evil scarecrow (he's part of the haunted hayride), and Mommy is going to be a cowgirl.  I even got my cap gun and lasso ready for this event. :D  The party is on Saturday night, so I'll try to update this post with a family pic soon thereafter.  My lil family loves this holiday sooo much, not only because it's the precursor to all of the fun holiday events to come, but also because it gives you a chance to be someone you're not or that you'd like to be.  Kinda like my books.  ;0)


My thoughts on this week's read along:

Basically?  Big ole sad face.  Seriously.  Anna finds out soooo much about her world in such a short time, and she still doesn't know the half of it.  And then Kai finally, finally admits that there's something between them, only to push Anna so far away that things may never be the same.  I'm just glad Anna has her father to help her through all of this.  Never in a million years did I imagine he was going to be the awesome man and father figure she's always wanted/needed, even if he has to lead her a bit astray to protect her.  After finishing this book, how could it ever have not been an absolute that the series would continue?  Really, Harper?  You didn't see the promise in this book from the beginning?  'Cause I did.  In fact, I wish I had that next book in my hands NOW.  :D

Favorite quotes:

Instead of a zillion quotes, I'm going to post my favorite scene, which happens in the pivotal Halloween chapter:

  "Wait," Kaidan called from behind me.  I squeezed my eyes shut for a second, but kept walking.  Then I felt his hand around my wrist, spinning me in a half circle and pulling me to his chest.  His face was so close.  He reached down and cupped my face with one woolly hand, and wiped the top corner of my lip hard with his thumb.  I flinched back.
  "What are you doing?"
  "I..." He appeared to have no idea himself.  "I wanted to see your freckle."
  A vulnerable tenderness flashed across his face, more painful to see than the coldness.  It took every ounce of strength I had not to beg for one last kiss.  As fast as his expression had softened, it was back to stone again.
  "What do you want from me, Kai?"
  "For starters?" His voice lowered to sexy, dangerous depths.  "I want to introduce myself to every freckle on your body."
  A powerful shiver ripped through me.
  "So, just something physical, then?" I clarified.      "That's all you want?"
  "Tell me you hate me," he demanded.  I felt the air of his words against my face.
  "But I don't hate you.  I couldn't."
  "You could," he assured me, pulling me tighter. "And you should."

*sigh*  I understand Kai's hesitation and his willingness to sacrifice his own feelings for Anna's safety, but geeeeeez!  Quit stringing the girl along, am I right?!?  Oh, and if you desire to read this chapter from Kai's POV, you can do so here.

Now that the read along is officially dunzo, I'll be posting my review shortly.  I'll be honest, though, I'm still not ready for it to be over, so it may take a few days for me to gather my thoughts and coherently review this novel.  But you shall know all the thoughts soon enough.  :D

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful pics - your daughter is adorable!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tis was a fun post! I would love to see pictures of your house all decked out for Halloween with all those decorations! I can't believe you gave them all away! I really enjoyed this book and loved working with Wendy, she kicked off Something Wicked. This book ended up being much deeper and more complex than I anticipates and I really liked that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww love that your whole family dresses up! My parents were and are such sticks in the mud! It is too bad how it ended. Kai finally seemed to be coming through and now he is moving away. Can't wait for the next book!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...