Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Add to Goodreads
Title: Clockwork Princess
Author: Cassandra Clare
Narrator:  Daniel Sharman
Series: The Infernal Devices, 3rd & final book
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Audio
Publication Date: March 19, 2013
Source: purchased
Purchase: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Audible

THE INFERNAL DEVICES WILL NEVER STOP COMING

A net of shadows begins to tighten around the Shadowhunters of the London Institute. Mortmain plans to use his Infernal Devices, an army of pitiless automatons, to destroy the Shadowhunters. He needs only one last item to complete his plan: he needs Tessa Gray.

Charlotte Branwell, head of the London Institute, is desperate to find Mortmain before he strikes. But when Mortmain abducts Tessa, the boys who lay equal claim to her heart, Jem and Will, will do anything to save her. For though Tessa and Jem are now engaged, Will is as much in love with her as ever.

As those who love Tessa rally to rescue her from Mortmain’s clutches, Tessa realizes that the only person who can save her is herself. But can a single girl, even one who can command the power of angels, face down an entire army?

Danger and betrayal, secrets and enchantment, and the tangled threads of love and loss intertwine as the Shadowhunters are pushed to the very brink of destruction in the breathtaking conclusion to the Infernal Devices trilogy.


*** This is a completely spoiler free review.  I promise.  I wouldn't do you like that.  =) ***

*Sigh*  This is how you write a series finale.  This is how you put an end to the dreaded love triangle without truly taking the choice away from everyone involved, without tastelessly casting someone aside.  This was the most inherently beautiful yet exquisitely painful ending I've ever read, and I was nearly inconsolable when I finished.  Not because of what happened, though there was cause for uncontrollable blubbering at times, but because it's over.  It's over and I already want to go back and read all three books again...and again...and again.


I almost wish that this were the series Cassie had decided to turn into six books instead of the original three. Okay, that's not true.  Not really.  These characters deserved to have their story told in a reasonable amount of time and without dragging it out just because I couldn't let them go.  But I already miss them so and it's so hard to say goodbye.  The same is true of any series finale, I suppose, but I'm finding it more difficult than usual with this one.  I didn't even expect to like this series when I started Clockwork Angel.  Yet here I am, sobbing over fictional characters that stole my heart and made me feel like no others before them.


I laughed with these characters, cried with them, and fell in love with them as they loved each other.  They each grow into who they were meant to be in this story, even those who seemed insignificant in the beginning.    Everyone made sacrifices and they all had a role to play.  And they played them so well, all the way up to that bittersweet ending.  And then there's everything we learn about Tessa and what she is and where she came from...

image

I'm not going to discuss the love triangle.  You know what you want to happen or what you expect to happen.  But as I said, it was handled admirably, and I couldn't imagine a more fitting end.  Admittedly, I could have done without the epilogue, though.  Oh, the feels.  I didn't tear up once during the book, not until that epilogue.  I'm going to be honest, though.  I'm not a huge fan of epilogues in general.  They sort of seem like a cop-out, almost like an alternate ending on fast-forward.  Still, this one should make at least a few fans happy.  ;)

And I am happy, despite the intense feeling of loss I'm currently coping with.  I just have to keep reminding myself that I can visit these characters again whenever I want.  Tessa is still the darling of the Institute.  Jem is still the soft-spoken violin-player.  And Will is still incorrigible.  This is how I'd like to remember them always.  But this is how I want to remember Magnus:
“A very magnanimous statement, Gideon,” said Magnus.
“I’m Gabriel.”
Magnus waved a hand. “All Lightwoods look the same to me.”
Bahaha...someday, Magnus, you will be eating your words.

As far as the audiobook goes, I thought I'd miss Ed Westwick reading to me.  But Daniel Sharman far surpassed my expectations for the audio.  As in, why didn't he read the other two books?  You'd assume a  guy reading all of the book, including Tessa's parts, would make it hard to distinguish between speakers and perspectives, but you'd be wrong.  And, oh, my, the accent he lent to Welsh-born Will.  Ed Westwick, who?  :P

I am unbelievably happy, both with the narration and with the story.  When it comes time for a re-read of the series, I'm not even sure which way to go about it.  The audiobooks and story alike were superbly done.  I highly, highly recommend this series.  I'm serious...I wasn't even that interested in the story when I picked up the first book, and now it's one of my favorite series ever.


Rating:   photo 5-1.png




9 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm still drowning in feels... I read TID without expectations and I ended up loving it so much more than I love TMI. Clockwork Princess felt like a gift to me. It was so beautiful, I still can't get over its perfection. I cried all the time, but I think it was more because I couldn't stop thinking that that was the last book with those characters... It was the perfect ending. My only complaint is that I don't have a Jem of my own lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am currently reading it and loving it, Like everything that Clare writes. I am dreading the end, but Since you David it was dealt with in a great manner I am a little Less afraid. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a GREAT review! I agree that I was not expecting this series to be as amazing as it was when I started it, but I was also blown away by it. YES to this: "This was the most inherently beautiful yet exquisitely painful ending I've ever read." I do not know how she managed that, but I agree, bravo, CC!

    Interesting thoughts on the epilogue. I'd love to know your more specific feelings on that. There are parts of it that I loved more than others...but of course I can't say much here. Anyway, a fantastic book and series, and I'm GLAD there aren't 3 more because I don't think my heart could take it!! Thankfully we are getting more of the Shadowhunter world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah - on vacation and commenting on my phone and my phone ate my entire comment. Anyway, my mind is blown by the idea of a guy reader for the audiobook. Very cool!
    Also not a huge fan of epilogues but I understand why this one was necessary.
    Emailing you about the rest :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to read this...yet I can't make myself right now. I have a very clear idea of what I think will happen. Must buy tissues before I even think of beginning.
    Happy you loved this so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful review! And well done, sharing so much of your reaction to the book without giving away any spoilers. I have yet to read *any* Cassandra Clare, but everyone seems to love her, so I guess I'll have to give her a try. Though I must admit (very quietly) that I'm not all that fond of love triangles...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am reading this book now. I cant put the dang thing down. Cassandra Clare just pulls me into any story she writes. She has a gift for story telling that is breath taking. I totally agree with your review. I cant put it down.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "It's over and I already want to go back and read all three books again...and again...and again." <-- THIS! That's exactly what I wanted to do!

    I personally didn't mind the epilogue, even though it made me sob uncontrollably. I thought it seemed fitting to help make everyone happy as well as set up their involvement with her new series that takes place after TMI.

    And bwahahahaha, yes Magnus will be eating those words someday! I love that!

    And I'm totally the same, didn't expect to really like this series much but definitely a favorite now! Great review Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am with you on the epilogue. I dunno. I mean I can appreciate it on one level because I liked hearing about the stories from her life to that point, but a big part of me would have preferred to imagine it myself. Maybe a brief epilogue with one random bridge scene would have felt less...definite? But this thing at the end with you know who and his being you know what, I can see that coming about as a result of something that happens in the next TMI book. And if that's the case, I guess it'd make more sense to me. I guess we'll see.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...