Friday, December 19, 2014

We so borrowed this idea from Sara at Forever 17 Books, who got the idea from an article on Babble called Judging a Book by Its Cover: A 6-year-old Guesses What Classic Novels Are All About. Basically, it's about getting a child's perspective on the story inside the book based on just the cover art. It can be hilarious, but it can also be enlightening.

Okay, I totally missed doing these posts with Katie, and it looks like it's been right at a year since our last one. While cleaning recently, I found the folder that I kept her previous iterations in -- all 33 of them! -- so I begged April to see if Aubrey would be up to contributing, too. Lucky for me, she was! =)






This week, the girls are working on the following book:

Title: Golden Son
Author: Pierce Brown
Series: Red Rising Trilogy # 2
Publisher: Del Rey
Publication Date: January 6th, 2015
Purchase: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Audible

Add to Goodreads
With shades of The Hunger Games, Ender’s Game, and Game of Thrones, debut author Pierce Brown’s genre-defying epic Red Rising hit the ground running and wasted no time becoming a sensation. Golden Son continues the stunning saga of Darrow, a rebel forged by tragedy, battling to lead his oppressed people to freedom from the overlords of a brutal elitist future built on lies. Now fully embedded among the Gold ruling class, Darrow continues his work to bring down Society from within. A life-or-death tale of vengeance with an unforgettable hero at its heart, Golden Son guarantees Pierce Brown’s continuing status as one of fiction’s most exciting new voices.



Behold, the girls' attempts at recreating Golden Son by Pierce Brown...

Aubrey's masterpiece & guess:




Aubrey says:
"I there are dragons. Lot's of them, and they are burning stuff with their fire breath."
Ya know, she's kinda off.. Okay, like really off, but I can see where she would get that idea from the cover. At least the fire part. lol. :)

I read Red Rising last year and it's become one of my favorite books of all time. I'm currently reading this one slowly. The holidays have made that difficult, because there is just so much going on. I refuse to rush through it though, I'm savoring every page, and let me tell you it's phenomenal so far.


Katie's artwork & thoughts:


Katie says:
"A boy sees a wreath that's on fire. Maybe the boy sees a sun that's all gold. I think it's what caught the wreath on fire."
I actually only know very little about this series, but I'm pretty sure it's not about the burning of a wreath, lol. I should also preface this with the fact that before telling me what she thought the book was about, Katie asked, "Is it like a son that you have? Like a baby? Or the sun in the sky?" I thought it was pretty clever of her to ask me to make that distinction. And yet, she included both in her thoughts. :P

Also, aren't their drawings so similar this week?


Have you read this book or do you plan to? What do you think of the girls' artwork and their thoughts on the story's premise?



1 comment:

  1. awwww I love this post!! :D Great job Katie and Aubrey!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...