Friday, October 25, 2013

Flat Leo

Friday, October 25, 2013 with 5 comments
Okay, so this isn't going to be my usual post.  And it's not all that book-related, but it did start out as a bookish conversation, so I thought I'd share 'cause it still makes me laugh just thinking about it.

So, my sister Mendy, who sometimes/kinda-sorta/almost-never co-blogs with me, is turning 30 next month. We're taking a girls' trip down to Austin to visit our other sister and we're going to do a spa day, fancy dinner...all the stuff we never treat ourselves to because we're too busy.

At this point, I should probably mention her obsession with Leonardo DiCaprio because it plays a major role in this little episode in our lives.  And I mean, it's a hardcore Leo obsession, dating back to his Growing Pains days.  Yeah.  She thinks she's been in love with this guy since she was a child, that they're made for each other.  Granted, she's not a crazy stalker and everything she says on this topic is usually in jest, but she would have the biggest freak-out ever if she actually met him in person.

Anyway, she came into the office earlier this week and was asking what book it was that we read together that incorporated Flat Finn into the story.  (It's Flat-Out Love, by the way, which was really cute.)  She proceeds to tell me that she wants a cardboard cut-out of Leo to take with her everywhere we go for her birthday.  (And presumably, every day thereafter because that's the kind of character she is.)  I replied that this was a great idea, we could cut it up and put hinges on the pieces like they did in the story so she could even take him in her purse, and she loved the idea.  I was joking.  She was not.

So, I started searching online for cardboard cut-outs of Leo.  Fatheads doesn't offer what we wanted, and another place only ships within Australia.  Bummer.  But in my search, I discovered the Strutting Leo meme.  How did I not know this existed?!?  Cardboard cut-out search abandoned, we spent the rest of the day watching and re-watching this awesome video of Leo strutting around, doing his thing:

                  

Tell me that's not awesome!  I dare you!  =)

Also, to make this post more relevant to the book world, I should share that my sister and my husband don't always get along.  They have absolutely nothing in common.  Normally.  But my husband is a huge fan of Leo, too.  Not like my sister, but Leo's one of his favorite actors.  So, when Jerrod mentioned wanting to see The Great Gatsby remake/adaptation with Leo in it, Mendy got a little excited.  They bonded over their shared love of Leo and Gatsby.  Kind of a special moment for them.  :D

And that's how the idea of Flat Leo was born.  Sort of.  I'm still trying to find an actual cardboard cut-out.  If I manage, you know I'll be posting about our birthday adventures with Leo.  I hope we can hold off the paparazzi!  :)


5 comments:

  1. That has got to be the best youtube video in existence! I'm going to have that song stuck in my head all day! Good luck with finding Flat Leo :D

    Live to Read, Love to Read

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's hilarious--and pretty catchy. I've also been a fan of Leo from his Growing Pains days. He's such an amazing actor and just so flipping sexy. I actually just re-watched The Departed (for the 100th time) a couple of nights ago. Nobody has ever been so sexy as he is in that film. Nobody. *Sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG. That's so freaking funny! Love him though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! Oh, Jen, this made me laugh. Both you and your post (and your sister) and the video!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughter is obsessed with him too. And she is way after growing pains. Love the Meme

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...