Wednesday, July 25, 2012



"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.

This week's WoW selection is...


Add to Goodreads
Title:  The Madman's Daughter
Author:  Megan Shepherd
Series:  1st book in The Madman's Daughter trilogy
Publisher:  Balzer + Bray
Publication Date:  January 29, 2013

London, 1894. Juliet Moreau has built a life for herself—working as a maid, attending church on Sundays, and trying not to think about the scandal that ruined her life. After all, no one ever proved the rumors about her father’s gruesome experiments. But when she learns her father is alive and continuing his work on a remote tropical island, she is determined to find out if the accusations were true.

Juliet is accompanied by the doctor’s handsome young assistant and an enigmatic castaway, who both attract Juliet for very different reasons. They travel to the island only to discover the depths of her father’s madness: he has created animals that have been vivisected to resemble, speak, and behave as humans. Worse, one of the creatures has turned violent and is killing the island’s inhabitants. Juliet knows she must end her father’s dangerous experiments and escape the island, even though her horror is mixed with her own scientific curiosity. As the island falls into chaos, she discovers the extent of her father’s genius—and madness—in her own blood.


Why I'm waiting:  Never read The Island of Dr. Moreau but I saw the movie, and it was great.  But that really has no bearing on why I want to read The Madman's Daughter.  I love historical fiction.  I love that cover.  And that synopsis sounds so awesome.  It reminds me a little of Dearly, Departed, but what book nowadays doesn't remind me of another?

So, what are you waiting on this week?

14 comments:

  1. I just pined for this book over the weekend. great choice.

    thanks for stopping by earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your blog is the third i've stopped by with the madman's daughter as their pick... which shows how wait-worthy it is! can't wait myself.


    our WoW.

    -michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds really awesome! I'm adding it to my TBR list :)

    My WOW: http://thebookbelles.blogspot.com/2012/07/waiting-on-wednesday-if-i-lie-by_24.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Starry Eyed Jenn ;)

    This is the first I've heard of this book but it sounds fascinating!! Looks like this is another must read to add to my list! Thanks for sharing.:) Happy Hump Day, and thank you for visiting my WOW post!!:)<3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. Genetic experiments gone wrong on a secluded island? Sign me up! This sounds thrilling, actually, and I cannot believe I hadn't heard of it until now. Added on Goodreads! Thanks for the rec!

    Jenna @ Making the Grade

    ReplyDelete
  6. I already have this on my wishlist. I hope that we both love it. Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow I had never heard of this before. I don't even think I'd heard of the movie (not sure though). The synopsis does sound great though. Kind of creepy and mysterious! Nice choice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes I love mad scientists! Can't wait to see what her dad created and how they stop it. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty, pretty, pretty!! I love this cover! The story sounds really good, too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My goodness that sounds like a good book. Great pick!
    Thanks for sharing,
    Dani
    Check out my WOW - http://paulettespapers.com/?p=2248

    ReplyDelete
  11. Retelling of the Island of Dr. Moreau??? SIGN ME UP!!!!! Thanks for the heads up on this one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh this looks really incredible. I haven't heard anything about the Island of Dr. Moreau, but I'm in.

    Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

    Here's my post

    ~Danica Page @Taking it One Page at a Time

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...