Friday, January 8, 2016

Library Lovers Book Tag

Friday, January 8, 2016 with 2 comments


Thank you to Gwen at the Book Lounge for tagging us to do the Library Lovers Book Tag. Here at The Starry-Eyed Revue, we are both big proponents of using the library! =)


How often do you visit your local library?


Jen: Well, I live in a town with a population of less than 2000 people, so we don't actually have a library. We share one with the town next door, though, and it's housed in the high school. Needless to say, it's quite small. So, awhile back when I visited my sister -- who lives in our state capital -- I made her take me to her local library to get a library card so I could access the capital's library system...which I do nearly every single day on their website. Sure, I can't check out physical books without resulting in a hefty fine since I only visit her every six months or so, but they have a TON of content available online.

April: Not very often. I went there to get my card, and then once afterwards. I'll go again when I have to renew. My library is in the heart of down town Jim Thorpe. It's very touristy and impossible to get a parking spot. So if you don't go on an off day, then you are gonna end up paying ten bucks to park in the overflow tourist parking section. So yeah, at that rate I might as well just buy a book instead of deal with the hassle.

I do however utilize my library often. They are set up on overdrive and I borrow audio books sometimes through there. That is the main reason I went down there to apply for a card.

Are you the type of person who checks out more books than you know you can read or are you someone who only checks out the exact amount of books you intend on reading before they are due?

Jen: When I was a kid, you bet I did. But seeing as how I can only check out books online -- meaning ebooks or audiobooks -- I find that it's a lot easier to limit myself to only a few at a time. More than manageable with the 21 day expiration of online titles, even with a checkout limit of 10 items at a time. I don't think I've ever had all ten out at one time, though now that Katie's getting interested in reading things besides what she's been assigned or what's already on her shelf, that may change. ;0)

April: I check out only what I plan on reading/listening at that time. Occasionally I've taken one out and not gotten to it, because I had it on hold, and when it was released to me I was neck deep in another, but usually I can contain myself.

How old were you when you got your first library card?

Jen: I remember that I was in first grade and that I checked out the same book -- Maurice Sendak's Chicken Soup with Rice -- six weeks in a row, so I guess I was 6 or 7. :D At this point, I can't even remember what the book is about, though Goodreads tells me it's a "book of months". I just remember that I loved chicken with rice soup and made my mom make it for me every time I wanted to read the book. I was a strange, strange child. But you probably already guessed that.

April: Hmmm, I guess 1st grade if you count the school library.But I remember being about 12 or 13 when my grandmother took me to the big library near her house. I was so thrilled when I got it. My brother and I used to spend the weekends at my Grams house, so I always looked forward to our weekly trips to the library.


Do you go to your library looking for a particular book or do you check out anything that peaks your interest?


Jen: When I go to the library website, it's usually for something in particular...to see if they've updated and added that new release to the queue yet or to download a hold that's ready. But when I don't have anything already in my queue and nothing I want is available, I go searching for titles that might interest me. Sometimes I find a real winner; other times, I end up with a dud. But at least I didn't have to pay for said dud. :P

April: I have a wishlist on overdrive, so I scan through it when I'm wanting to borrow something. Whatever is interesting me at the time and not already taken is usually the winner.

Do you use your library to check out just books or do you also check out DVDs, audio books etc.?

Jen: Books and audiobooks, mainly. I haven't looked into whether I can borrow movies via a device since I can't physically check out DVDs, but it hasn't been a concern since we have cable and Netflix in our house.

April: Like I said above, it's mostly all Audio and sometimes ebooks. If my Library was closer and not such a pain in the ass, I would take Aubrey to take out books regularly. She has her own card and a kindle, so I sometimes check out ebooks for her to page through. :)

From what section of your library do you check out a majority of your books? (YA, middle grade, adult, nonfiction.)

Jen: Definitely YA, with a smidge of middle grade and some adult thrown in when the mood hits me.

April: YA for sure.

What is your favorite part of using your local library?

Jen: Access to all of those books for free without ever having to leave the comfort of my house! I mean, if I had a local library to physically visit, it would probably be chatting up the librarian in charge of the young adult section. But I don't. So I can't. :(

April: The Audio for sure. I only have my Audible set up with one credit a month, so the library helps me spend less money.



Libraries rule!!!

Seriously. Libraries are the best. Even if I can't get much use out of mine, I still donate books to it when I'm done with them.

Anyone else out there a serious connoisseur of libraries? We're not tagging anyone specifically, but feel free to jump on this tag and share your love and expertise on all things library!





2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for doing the tag ladies. I can't imagine my library being a pain to get to or not having one in my town at all. Guess I am spoiled! I am not an e-book or audio reader so I often struggle without physical books. I tend to use my library more in the summer months because I have more time to read, return on time, etc but I am also trying to use it more throughout the other months as well.

    Thanks again for doing the tag. Hope you both have an amazing weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad I got back into using my library this past year! It really helped me read all the YA I wanted without having to pay for it :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...