Wednesday, July 22, 2015





"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.

This week's WoW selection is...








's Pick:



Title: The Forbidden Orchid
Author: Sharon Biggs Waller
Series: stand-alone
Publisher: Viking
Publication Date: February 2, 2016

Add to Goodreads
Staid, responsible Elodie Buchanan is the eldest of ten sisters living in a small English market town in 1861. The girls' father is a plant hunter, usually off adventuring through the jungles of China.

Then disaster strikes: Mr. Buchanan fails to collect an extremely rare and valuable orchid, meaning that he will be thrown into debtors' prison and the girls will be sent to the orphanage or the poorhouse. Elodie's father has one last chance to return to China, find the orchid, and save the family--and this time, thanks to an unforeseen twist of fate, Elodie is going with him. Elodie has never before left her village, but what starts as fear turns to wonder as she adapts to seafaring life aboard the tea clipper The Osprey, and later to the new sights, dangers, and romance of China.

But even if she can find the orchid, how can she find herself now that staid, responsible Elodie has seen how much the world has to offer?

I've had this book on my Goodreads TBR since I first discovered it was a thing…so, over a year ago. And now it has a spectacularly beautiful cover and synopsis to entice me further. Not that I needed much persuading, considering how much I loved the author's debut. Her take on the suffragette movement and the exquisite girl-power vibe she imbued the novel with…I'm still kind of in awe. Which is obviously why I don't want to wait any longer than I have to before getting my hands on The Forbidden Orchid. Plus, good girl realizing there's more to the world than just being responsible and doing what's expected? Yeah, that's my kind of story. :)


What are you desperately waiting for this Wednesday? Let us know in the comments or share a link to your own WoW post!



11 comments:

  1. Sounds awesome, a girl discovering there is more than just stove and family in her future, a great adventurer! Hope you'll love it as much as the debut. =)
    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely cover and interesting blurb. It definitely seems like a good one. Thanks for sharing :)

    Happy Wednesday!

    Shane @ Itching for Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES! This is my kind of story as well. I love the good girl who has been a little sheltered going out in the world and seeing that there is more to it than she expected. Plus I too adored A Mad, Wicked Folly. Great choice!
    Cassi @ My Thoughts Literally

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of people sharing this one today! Not sure it's up my alley though. HOpe you get it soon.
    Check out my WOW

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds fantastic and I haven't heard of it before! Thank you for sharing it! Great pick!

    Michelle @ Michelle's Minions

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great adventure! I hope you'll enjoy it, Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved a Mad, Wicked Folly too! I'm definitely excited for this one :D The cover is so pretty!
    Ariel @ Bookish Confessions

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh this is a new to me author but I am intrigued! Thanks for sharing!!

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  9. Once I saw the cover I had already added it to my TBR. I love the blurb too! But...that cover is SO PRETTY! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never heard of this one, I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...