Friday, May 18, 2012

Review: Until I Die by Amy Plum

Friday, May 18, 2012 with 6 comments
Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Goodreads
Title:  Until I Die
Author:  Amy Plum
Series:  2nd book in the Revenants series
Publisher:  HarperTeen
Publication Date:  May 8, 2012
Source:  ARC


Kate and Vincent have overcome the odds and at last they are together in Paris, the city of lights and love.

As their romance deepens there’s one question they can’t ignore: How are they supposed to be together if Vincent can’t resist sacrificing himself to save others? Although Vincent promises that he’ll do whatever it takes to lead a normal life with Kate, will that mean letting innocent people die? When a new and surprising enemy reveals itself, Kate realizes that even more may be at stake—and that Vincent’s immortality is in jeopardy.

In Die for Me, Amy Plum created a captivating paranormal mythology with immortal revenants and a lush Paris setting. Until I Die is poised to thrill readers with more heart-pounding suspense, spellbinding romance, and a cliff-hanger ending that will leave them desperate for the third and final novel in the series.




So...I have tons of scribbles for this book. If you know my reading style at all, you know that this is never a good sign.  When I’m consumed by a book, or vice versa, I tend to forget to stop and record my thoughts.  When a book is not living up to my expectations?  THAT’S when I find myself with pages of notes.  Granted, I can’t include a lot of my notes in my review because some of my thoughts were particularly spoilery, but you get the point.
I loved Die for Me when I read it last year.  I liked the story, the characters, the setting…I even appreciated the bad guy.  However, I’m starting to notice a trend.  A big majority of the books I read this time last year – read: the first books in trilogies that are slated to release sequels this year – really wowed me.  Maybe I was just getting back into my reading groove and was happy to read anything at that point.  This was around the time I started my blog and everything was new and shiny and full of awesome.  I guess what I’m trying to say is that if you compared my taste in reading materials from a year ago to the present, the results might be a bit skewed.  Basically, I’m just warning you that I’m not going to review Until I Die as favorably as I did Die for Me, and I want you to know that I’m not picking on the book or the author.  Also, it may not be any fault of the author or the book.  It really could just be me that changed.
That said, I feel that Until I Die fell into the “middle book slump”.  It was 350+ pages of fluff, nothing of any consequence really happening throughout the entirety of the novel.  Sure, Kate is searching for a way for her and Vincent to have a somewhat normal life together, and he’s conducting experiments with the same end result in mind.  However, the majority of the book was spent on Revenant history and unsubstantiated claims of a Champion and other Revenant-related lore that was neither unexpected nor unsurprising.  After the first quarter of the book, I already knew where the storyline was headed, and although I love to be proven correct, the result left me quite dissatisfied.
My biggest complaint, though, was how contrived this novel felt.  I have no less than five written examples of obstacles being overcome rather conveniently, despite the odds being stacked against the characters, and those are only the ones I felt compelled to document.  Life, love and everything in between isn’t easy for your average human, so why would I find it believable that a human dating a not-so-gross zombie would have an easier go of it?
I did appreciate the fact that Vincent feels the need to point out to Kate that she has pretty much ostracized herself from all of her former friends and that she still does need those connections to the normal world.  I can’t really fault Vincent for anything there; I do so hate a protagonist who dumps all of her former relationships for one with a guy who’s already warned her away from him for various reasons.  On the other hand, Vincent doesn’t push Kate away because of the wrongness of their relationship, as so many wrong-for-her love interests are wont to do, so kudos on that front, as well.
I didn’t hate Until I Die, and I’ll definitely pick up the next book in the series.  I just wish Until I Die hadn’t been such a middle novel.  I was so excited about this book, and it just fell short of my expectations.  I’ve been trying to curb those as of late, but when you’ve already read the first novel and adored it, what do you do?
Rating:  Photobucket1/2

Book-A-Likes:  Hereafter by Tara Hudson, Spellbound series by Cara Lynn Shultz








6 comments:

  1. I'm sad to hear that it didn't live up to your expectations. Now I have doubts, because I really loved the first book! Ah well...I'll just have to see, won't I? Great review :)

    I currently have a giveaway running on my blog if you'd like to check it out HERE

    Rabiah
    Confessions of a Readaholic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed the first book, too. :( Hope it was just me and that you love Until I Die as much as the first book.

      Delete
  2. thanks for the honest review. sometimes sequels are difficult for me too, especially when it's a lot to live up to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've found my tastes have changed a lot in the past year, too. It's crazy. I feel like I should go back and change my ratings.

    As for Until I Die, You were nicer than me. I gave the book 2*s. I was soooo bored. And yes, everything was so convenient.

    Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently picked up Die for Me and am glad to hear you loved it, i am bummed you didn't enjoy this one as much and hope book three redeems the series for you. I think for book two i will get it from the library.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A heart breakingly beautiful love story, Amy Plum's sequel Until I Die takes readers deeper into Revenant lore, ups the passion in the already passionate love story, introduces readers to new characters, throws in some twists and gives readers a shocking ending I didn't even see coming. I loved being back in Paris with Kate, Vincent, Jules and the fabulous cast of characters that exist in this world. I didn't realize how much I missed them, until I sat down to read this book. What a fabulous read this is. The history of the Revenants is explored more, the character growth is amazing and the new plot developments are both enticing and shocking, in terms of some of the things that transpire.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...