Friday, March 27, 2015



A couple years ago, my husband and I decided to try watching Breaking Bad. It was on Netflix, and we had heard so many good things. I know this blog is primarily about books, but I just have to tell you all about how much I loved this show.

For those of you who don't know much about it... I'll give you a brief intro. Walter White is a chemistry teacher and he's been diagnosed with cancer. He doesn't make a ton of money, in fact his family is kind of struggling financially from the get go. So... what to do with all those medical bills? Pay them with drug money of course. Mr. White sets out to make some high quality meth, and make money for his family to have in case he does not beat the cancer.


You see, his son is special needs and his wife is expecting their second child. What is a man to do? Provide, that's what.

He could probably do without the tighty whity's. They aren't very bad ass, but they do make an appearance all the way through the series, and I laughed every time.

This show has everything. It has some of the best written in humor I've ever watched in a show. Which was surprising, considering the subject material. It has action, and gore. It was just perfect.

I didn't think I was going to like it as much as I do. I mean, drugs, they aren't exactly my thing. I don't really like reading about drugs, or watching movies involving drug cartels and stuff. But Breaking Bad is different.

We had a conversation with my brother in law, back when we first started watching the show. Our nephew was a big fan, but my BIL, not so much. When we asked him why, he proceeded to tell us that he didn't like the show because he felt that it glorified drugs.

I can see how it could be taken that way, especially early on in the series, but there is a much bigger message here. I think to fully grasp the beauty of this show is to finish it out. The ending, was perfect. Some people complain about series finale's and about how they weren't satisfying enough, but this one.. Wow.

We were very sad to see the series end but thankfully there is a spin off prequel series call Better Call Saul. It follows a character who happens to be one of my favorites.

I cannot stress enough how great Breaking Bad was. If you have Netflix, you definitely have to try this show out.





4 comments:

  1. +JMJ+

    I really loved this show! =D

    It seems to me that people who boycott Breaking Bad because they think it glorifies drugs would change their minds quickly if they watched it. The people who produce the drugs are some of the worst TV villains ever and those who sell them are kind of stupid. Walt is an anomaly, but he becomes worse and worse as the story goes on, reflecting the corrupting influence that drugs have on even the smartest people or those with the best intentions. His blue meth is very much like Sauron's One Ring, in this respect. And well, everyone who gets involved in the drug trade gets his (or her!) comeuppance in the end. I can't imagine how anyone could watch Breaking Bad and come away with a positive impression of drugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband tried to get me to watch this show forever ago but I was never interested. BUT, a few weeks ago I finally gave in and I LOVE it! We actually only have like 5 more episodes and then we are finished. I'm really dreading it though cause I don't want it to end :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too didn't think I'd enjoy it because of the drug story-line. Once I'd seen about three episodes I was totally hooked. I managed to watch it all in about three weeks. There were some days I watched as many as eight episodes. Like being addicted to drugs, I just couldn't walk away. I don't think I've ever had a show that could take me from laughing till I almost peed my pants to crying until my nose was stopped up. The best show EVER. The people who don't watch this show because it's about "drugs" are the same ones who wouldn't read Harry Potter because it was about witches and magic. I can feel smug about knowing these people have missed some of the best stories ever while I got to enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...