Friday, February 13, 2015






We so borrowed this idea from Sara at Forever 17 Books, who got the idea from an article on Babble called Judging a Book by Its Cover: A 6-year-old Guesses What Classic Novels Are All About. Basically, it's about getting a child's perspective on the story inside the book based on just the cover art. It can be hilarious, but it can also be enlightening.









This week, the girls are working on the following book:

Title: A Darker Shade of Magic
Author: Victoria Schwab
Series: A Darker Shade of Magic, book #1
Publisher: Tor Books
Publication Date: February 24, 2015
Purchase: Amazon | Barnes & Noble

Add to Goodreads
Kell is one of the last Travelers—rare magicians who choose a parallel universe to visit.

Grey London is dirty, boring, lacks magic, ruled by mad King George. Red London is where life and magic are revered, and the Maresh Dynasty presides over a flourishing empire. White London is ruled by whoever has murdered their way to the throne. People fight to control magic, and the magic fights back, draining the city to its very bones. Once there was Black London - but no one speaks of that now.

Officially, Kell is the Red Traveler, personal ambassador and adopted Prince of Red London, carrying the monthly correspondences between royals of each London. Unofficially, Kell smuggles for those willing to pay for even a glimpse of a world they’ll never see. This dangerous hobby sets him up for accidental treason. Fleeing into Grey London, Kell runs afoul of Delilah Bard, a cut-purse with lofty aspirations. She robs him, saves him from a dangerous enemy, then forces him to another world for her 'proper adventure'.

But perilous magic is afoot, and treachery lurks at every turn. To save all of the worlds, Kell and Lila will first need to stay alive — trickier than they hoped.


Behold, the girls' attempts at recreating A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab...

Aubrey's masterpiece & guess:





Aubrey says:
"I think it's about a man who makes Christmas Balls. And they are magic."
lol, This thought may seem off the wall to you all, but I totally got where she was coming from. One year we made these ornaments with yarn, balloons and glue.


She said the cover looked like these yarn balls we made. I have to agree with her. I haven't read this book yet, but Jen has, and she loved it, so that will be another one added to my list. :)


Katie's artwork & thoughts:



Katie says:
"It kind of looks like the guy is falling. But I think the story has some magic in it, and it's dark magic."
Even before we talked about what the book was about, Katie was focused on that coat the guy on the cover is wearing…and with good reason. I think she did super awesome with it -- it's even more detailed in person. Kell does have magic of sorts, and there is definitely dark magic contained within the pages of this book, but one of my favorite aspects is still that amazing coat. I explained a little bit more about it in my review, but if you're curious, you should definitely check out this book. It's Schwab's second adult novel, and though I don't read all that much in the way of adult literature these days, I highly recommend it…plus all of her other YA books. They don't feel YA or adult…they're just books with great writing that speaks to you. =)


Have you read this book or do you plan to? What do you think of the girls' artwork and their thoughts on the story's premise?



5 comments:

  1. I can't wait for my copy of this one to arrive and hit the pause button on life for a few hours while I read it. x)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a clever thing to do. Their art work is very sweet. I think the Christmas idea works well as he is wearing a red coat too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do plan to read this book. I am curious about his coat. both girls did an absolutely wonderful job and I so get the Christmas ornaments Aubrey! I love both explanations and drawings. Good job girls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a fantastic idea. I've been doing something similar myself, except there's no lovely art and my guinea pigs are mostly fellow grad students. I think their accuracy is about the same, though. :P

    C.J.
    Sarcasm & Lemons

    ReplyDelete
  5. for me this is a very very good information, because its contents make us become better know and learn more about the wide world, so it would greatly add insight for me, laneways that I say many thanks
    cara alami menyembuhkan stroke ringan

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...