Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Illusions (Wings, #3)Title:  Illusions
Author:  Aprilynne Pike
Series:  Wings
Publisher:  HarperCollins Publishers
Publication Date:  May 3, 2011
Links:  Amazon | Goodreads
Rating:  Photobucket

From Goodreads:

Laurel hasn't seen Tamani since she begged him to let her go last year. Though her heart still aches, Laurel is confident that David was the right choice.

But just as life is returning to normal, Laurel discovers that a hidden enemy lies in wait. Once again, Laurel must turn to Tamani to protect and guide her, for the danger that now threatens Avalon is one that no faerie thought would ever be possible. And for the first time, Laurel cannot be sure that her side will prevail.
Review:

Oh, my. If I thought I was going to get any answers in book three, boy, was I mistaken. I now have more questions than ever! And I have to wait an entire year before I'll get any type of resolution? After that cliffhanger?!? Oh, my.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

***Don't read any further if you have not read the other books in the series. I would hate to spoil anything for you!***

---------------------------------------------------------------------

So, Laurel made her decision at the end of Spells and is living as normal a life as possible as a human with David and the parents who raised her. All is right in Laurel's world, until Tamani shows up at her high school and enrolls as a foreign exchange student. Things are about to get complicted.

It's engaging to read how the scenario plays out. I mean, David, Mr. Perfect GPA, has a little green-eyed monster tucked safely away after the incidents of last summer, but Tamani's reappearance in Laurel's life triggers some not-so-nice behavior from him. It's quite entertaining and it actually made me like David better because he's not as perfect as his spotless reputation thus far has portrayed. (I'm still Team Tamani, though!)

The characterization in these novels is fantastic. I truly feel as if I know the characters, though their actions are not always as predictable as one might expect. And the addition of new characters (friend or foe, who really knows?) only adds to the fun. Ms. Pike really knows how to round out her characters and make them feel like old friends.

As usual, Laurel doesn't only have to deal with having her heart torn between two boys. There are other dangers looming on the horizon, though it takes getting to that cliffhanger of an ending to truly find out who the enemy is. This latest installment, and my favorite in the series by far, is full of plot twists, complex relationships, and developments that shake Laurel's world to its core.

Illusions is a great addition to the series, which only seems to get better with each book. The author has created a spectacular new faerie world of her own with this series.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Side note and then I'm done: After the revelations in Illusions, what with Laurel breaking up with David and leaning heavily toward Tamani, and Chelsea's plans to break up with Ryan in hopes that David will finally notice her, I won't be surprised if the series ends happily ever after with Laurel & Tamani heading home to Avalon and David & Chelsea heading off to college together as a couple. I hope it's not as predictable as all that, but I suppose I shall find out eventually.

*I won an ARC of this novel from Pitch Dark Books/Harper Teen in their Dark Days of Supernatural promotion.*

Next up for review:  Die for Me (Revenants, #1)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...