Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by the awesome ladies at The Broke and the Bookish. Apparently, they are overly fond of list-making and love to share their bookish lists with the rest of us book nerds. =) We're game.
This week's topic is Top Ten Bookworm Delights.
1. Reading outside...but especially in a hammock - There is just nothing like reading outdoors! By a body of water, under a tree, or on a park bench...nothing beats it. I just find it so much easier to immerse myself in a book's world when I'm also communing with nature.
2. Pretty or unusual editions - I love the leatherbound series from Barnes & Noble. I also love gilded edges or the black edges like those for Six of Crows or deckled edges. Pretty much anything that makes the book special and look extra special sitting on my shelves.
3. Used book stores/the smell of old books - These two go hand-in-hand. I could spend
4. Finding out a kid you know is a reader - Of course, my own daughter is a reader. I think I'd never stop crying if she wasn't. But it just warms my bookish heart SO MUCH when I discover that one of her friends or cousins or even one of my friend's kids loves to read to. (To add to this, I also love discovering that anyone I meet loves to read.)
5. Being completely shocked by a twist - I read a lot...and often. And not much surprises me these days when it comes to reading. So when a book has a twist that I didn't see coming, that totally stunned me, I am all in. (I'm looking at you, The Kiss of Deception.)
6. When a bookish friend finally reads your favorite book and loves it - One of my closest friends finally read The Scorpio Races -- which is arguably one of my very favorite books, having just re-read it for the 7th time earlier this month -- and it was just so amazing to know that she loved it as much as I'd hoped she would when I found out she'd never read it before.
7. Going back to read a book you couldn't finish before and discovering you love it - Admittedly, this doesn't happen very often, but when it does, oh, the happy dance that ensues. I try to give every book the benefit of the doubt, and I realize that sometimes, it's me or the mood I'm in, not the book. Which is why, in addition to my DNF shelf, I also have one called to come back to.
8. Re-reading books - I own books for a reason, and it's not just so they look pretty on my shelves. I actually intend to re-read them some day. Granted, I usually end up doing so via audio because of time constraints and the sheer volume of review copies I receive, but I do end up revisiting a lot of favorites throughout the year, especially if a new installment is forthcoming.
9. Discovering one of your favorite authors is writing a new series - And it's even better than you could have hoped. Maybe even better than the last one!
10. When the final book in a series meets/exceeds your expectations - Waiting for a series finale can be torture, but reading it and hating the way the author ended things is even worse. So when the final installment actually lives up to your expectations, it's kind of the absolute best.
I could have listed tons more, but I went a little overboard with last week's top ten, so I decided to reign it in a bit this week, lol. What are some of your favorite bookish delights?