Sunday, January 25, 2015


A few years ago, I made a book trailer. Not just any book trailer, but a book trailer for the infamous 50 Shades of Grey. I didn't particularly like the books, honestly. I thought they were poorly written, but I did read them because... well... train wrecks, ya know. lol.

I had been blogging for about a year, and peer pressure made me pick it up. Erotica really isn't my thing so I had no intention of making any video for it, but my friends Jess, Andrea, and Autumn kept telling me... "You have to make a trailer for it! You just have too!" So the ideas started flowing, and I got right to it.

The best part of making this video was sending these ladies screen shots while working on it. My poor husband also had to endure much of the process as I played it over and over in my editor to get it just right. Shortly after I made it, it went a little viral. It was posted on Vh1 under the celebrity articles along with the reading by Gilbert Gottfried and other parody's. Such an honor. It also made it on to Movieline which was awesome.

It died down though after the initial buzz and I haven't paid much attention to my views since. The end of this year I was at about 139,000 views. As of right now, it's at 400,845 views and climbing. Which is crazy! I woke up the other morning, and I saw Andrea had posted a link on my FB page. She says..."Holy crap, April Haug! Your 50SoG Sim trailer is on Jezebel!" Day Made. 



I nearly crapped myself. I read articles on Jezebel all the time! And above is a screen shot of the article being popular! I had to capture this momentous occasion.

Upon further research, there were quite a few sites that had picked up my video for discussion. You see, when I made the video, I felt like I needed to add "The Scene". I know this is primarily a young adult blog, but most know that there is a scene in book one involving a certain feminine product being removed by the ever so suave Christian Grey. That was the scene I worked my whole trailer around, because I knew there was no way it would ever make the cut to be in the movie. Plus, I was going for comedy here, and what's funnier than a plug flying through the air?

This week, it was made official that this wonderful scene will indeed not be in the movie, and the director never even considered it.. Well no shit. That was a given. But I guess that's what sparked the interest in my video.

Example: the title of the Uproxx article.

The ‘Fifty Shades’ Movie Won’t Include The Tampon Scene, But Here It Is

Here are a few other articles that made my LOL.

Metro...

This fan-made animated Fifty Shades Of Grey trailer (complete with tampon scene) is immense

TheMarySue...

50 Shades Won’t Include The Infamous Tampon Scene, So Here, Have This Fan Re-Creation

Bustle.com...

The 'Fifty Shades Of Grey' Tampon Scene Got An Animated Fan-Made Video & It Produced These 6 Terrifying Moments — VIDEO

Entertainment Wise...

Here's What That Fifty Shades Of Grey Tampon Scene Would Have Looked Like

Cosmopolitan...

This fan-made Fifty Shades period sex scene will scar you for life

MTV...

That Fifty Shades Of Grey Scene They Missed Out? A Fan Made Their Own Version.

Indiewire...

Watch: The Tampon Scene From 'Fifty Shades Of Grey' You Won't See In The Movie Recreated With 'The Sims'

The Lowdown Under...

‘The Sims’ Fifty Shades Of Grey Book Trailer


I have to say, the article on Bustle was my favorite. I'm still laughing over it. And here is my favorite comment thus far...


Who doesn't like bacon? I'm dying! lol

So this week has been a flurry of activity. I'm still so blown away that it's even gotten any attention at all, because it was just a joke. It was just for fun. I never imagined it would be talked about so much. lol. 

There is my tiny claim to fame. I just had to share it with you all in case you haven't seen it. 



15 comments:

  1. OH. MY. FREAK. This is flippin' HILARIOUS. What a strange way to become ''famous'', huh? This is EPIC. Congrats, I guess? LOL. I can't believe this is the first time I'm seeing/hearing about this. You have mad Sims trailer skills. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read the books and have no desire to ever. But I still enjoyed your video, it made me laugh and it kind of grossed me out too, ha. Congratulations on it being popular, it looks like you put a lot of work into it.

    (that scene is pretty gross though, who finds that sexy?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, it's just not sexy.. I had to read that scene a few times to believe I was actually reading that. lol.

      Delete
  3. hahaaahhah, I was laughing the whole time especially the flying bacon errr. tampon haaaahahhahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, that guy was right.. it really does look like bacon. :)

      Delete
  4. I saw this video a week ago but I didn't know that you made it April. It was so hilarious, well done! You know you even famous in Belgium, they featured your video in a news article about 50 shades (http://bit.ly/1C0MQYr) so congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg, that's so funny. Thank you. Love the Belgium link. Thanks for sharing!! :)

      Delete
  5. Oh gosh, I gotta watch this xD I read like the first 25% of 50 Shades of Grey but I'm not an erotica reader so I stopped reading lol. Not sure if I'll watch the movie...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might have to watch the movie, just to see how much they kept. I'm sure it will be just as lame as the book. :)

      Delete
  6. This is Epic!!! Just Hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol This is hilarious. Congrats. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL! This is awesome. :)

    And it DOES kind of look like a piece of bacon with a tail.

    I read the first book and decided I just couldn't read the rest of them. I don't have a problem with erotica, and I don't have a problem with BDSM. But those books just DIDN'T do it for me. At ALL.

    Congrats on the slice of fame! And good editing on the vid :)

    ~Liza @ Classy Cat Books

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...