Monday, December 19, 2011

Review: Touch of Power by Maria V. Snyder

Monday, December 19, 2011 with 1 comment
Touch of Power (Healer, #1)Title:  Touch of Power
Author:  Maria V. Snyder
Series:  Healer
Publisher:  Mira
Publication Date:  December 20, 2011
Source:  publisher via Netgalley
Links:  Amazon | Goodreads
Rating:  Photobucket

From Goodreads:

 
Laying hands upon the injured and dying, Avry of Kazan assumes their wounds and diseases into herself. But rather than being honored for her skills, she is hunted. Healers like Avry are accused of spreading the plague that has decimated the Territories, leaving the survivors in a state of chaos.

 
Stressed and tired from hiding, Avry is abducted by a band of rogues who, shockingly, value her gift above the golden bounty offered for her capture. Their leader, an enigmatic captor-protector with powers of his own, is unequivocal in his demands: Avry must heal a plague-stricken prince—leader of a campaign against her people. As they traverse the daunting Nine Mountains, beset by mercenaries and magical dangers, Avry must decide who is worth healing and what is worth dying for. Because the price of peace may well be her life...
Review:

Other than the Study series, I’ve not read anything else by Maria V. Snyder. I LOVED the Study series, though, and so I was worried that I could not possibly enjoy Touch of Power more than that. I was wrong to have worried.

I loved the pacing of this novel, as well as the entire premise. It was very difficult to put this book down, once I finally allowed myself to get into it. Though, I do have to admit that I noticed some similarities to the Study series: (1) what I like to call the Man in Black character (a la Wesley from The Princess Bride – my most favorite movie ever…in other words, mysterious but handsome), (2) a formulaic love story, and (3) that whole “all magicians are bad” (or at least really creepy and dangerous) thing. But rather than detracting from the story, having that familiarity actually helped me acquiesce to this book. I drew many parallels between characters, but in the end it was kind of comforting. It made me want to go back and re-read the Study series…and move the rest of Snyder’s works up to the top of my TBR list.

This author writes some of the greatest characters I’ve ever read. Avry’s character was just what I’m looking for in a protagonist. She’s strong but soft-hearted, and she does what has to be done, even if it puts her life at risk. The supporting characters made this story even better. The troop of men start out as Avry’s protectors so that she may heal their friend, but in the end, they become something more like family. The fact that they can overcome their perceived prejudices against Healers goes a long way toward building their bond with Avry, with even Kerrick (my Man in Black, if you will) beginning to see Avry in a different light.

But if the Healer’s companions are good and trustworthy, then her enemies are deliciously evil. I’m finding it harder and harder not to fall, at least to some degree, for the bad guys in books. Why do they always have to be so pretty? It makes it hard to hate them. I guess if it was easy, though, the story wouldn’t be much fun. And, boy, does Tohon make this novel interesting.

Touch of Power is a fabulous start to a new series. The magic, the friendships, and the chase all make for one captivating novel. While I’m waiting for the next installment, I’ll take the opportunity to catch up on the Glass and the Insider series and see what else I’ve been missing. But I recommend you pick this book up, especially if you enjoy YA novels with high fantasy that are a little less Y and a little more A.


1 comment:

  1. I've only read poison study so far by her. I liked it.. I'll have to finish those someday.
    when i have time, which will be never. *dramatic sigh*

    I love me some fantasy so I might have to try this out. I have never watched all of the princess bride. I always turn it on at that point when he's rolling down the hill.

    time to make cracks at the cover.. I love covers... but I also love to make fun of them... serious first thought when looking at this cover ---->

    ( Kristen Stuart holding a magical Diaphram... Ta Daaaaaa! )

    I have never used a diaphram before, so i'm not sure if they even resemble that, but i'm sure a magical one could resemble anything, perhaps even a pear or a bannana. but the girl, the open mouth is a give away. I wonder if that was done on purpose, or maybe i'm crazy but I swear she looks like her.. kinda like the model on Wither looks like mandy moore.. weird.. coincidence? I think not.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...