Right now though, I want to share something that happened to us last weekend. I'm just going to go ahead and copy paste what I posted to my facebook. I've shared it around to different animal shelters I follow as well.
ATTENTION FELLOW CAT OWNERS...
If you own a no-touch/automatic soap dispenser. Please get rid of it now. It is deadly to your cat if he or she gets any on her.
Friday night, our 6 month old Kitten jumped up on the sink and set it off. Some of it got on his fur. I didn't notice it right away, but when I did, I wiped as much off as I could not thinking much of it. I've been beating myself up inside ever since, because I should have known better.
Saturday Morning we woke up and he wasn't acting like him self. His tongue was hanging out, and he wouldn't eat or drink. He felt hot to the touch. Thank goodness this didn't happen when we were away because we had family checking on them every other day. He would be dead right now if we hadn't been home.
I immediately started googling cat tongues hanging out and quickly came to the realization that he had been poisoned from the soap dispenser the night before. A 65 dollar call to the Poison Control number, and we were on our way to the vet.
It is now Sunday night and he's hopefully spending his last night in the animal hospital. We were told he's doing well and starting to eat and drink again. He will hopefully be able to come home tomorrow. The remainder of the soap he licked off burned his mouth and throat. It could have been so much worse. He could have died.
I seriously never gave it a thought. It's just hand soap right? Well it's not. And as convenient as it was to wash our hands in the kitchen without having to pump the soap out, it certainly isn't worth our cats life. Or worth the 600 dollar vet bill we will be paying to get him better.
I'm posting this knowing I will probably get some negative feed back. Trust me, I know now I should have been a smarter pet owner and put him the tub right away. But I'm also posting this because a few of my friends and family expressed that they would never have thought about it either. In fact, if you look on YouTube, there are people video taping their cats walking under these things and laughing about them setting them off. It's not funny at all. :(
So please please please! Learn from my mistake and don't let this happen to your kitty. I've since removed our hand soaps and will be replacing our cleaners with more animal friendly options.
Nimbus is home now and back to himself. Thank goodness. He's been getting extra love and attention, but lets be real, I've always spoiled him so it's not much more. lol. He's my baby. Pixie has kinda taken to the hubby, but Nimbus, he's a momma's boy for sure.
He has a few shaved spots from where they and to put the IVs. :*( Poor little guy. The vet was wonderful and while it was expensive, it was worth it to have my boy safe and healthy again.
This is a copy of the vet bill.
I wanted to share this on here because a lot of people really don't know the danger of these things. Even the Vet tech assistant was surprised when I was telling her the story. It's just not something you think about. So please be safe kitties and throw those things away if you have them.